Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency

Ash January 8, 2013

JIRA Access Constraints error. I've been testing the upgrade of our Jira instance from 4.4.4 to 5.2.2 in our dev environment and after rolling back to 4.4.4 from a failed 5.2.2 upgrade attempt, I get the following error.

Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency. The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup. Database version is: 813 JIRA app version is: 664 Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 4.4.4#664-r167664

I reverted back to a VM snapshot before the up/g of the server and a db back-up before the up/g. Can you advise what could be causing this issue? thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2013

Ashmr,

The fail startup because JIRA 4.4.4 tried to connect to database that has been upgraded to 5.2.2. What I am suspecting in this case is that, even though the upgrade failed, the database was partially upgraded to 5.2.2.

Rolling back only can be done like https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Rolling+Back+a+JIRA+Upgrade

Ash January 9, 2013

Thanks Janet. The issue is that I restored the db to version prior to the up/g so it contains unchanged tables. I'll run through the oulined process and see if that fixes this - cheers

0 votes
Ash January 9, 2013

No, haven't tried that, but will give it a go - thanks.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Are you using a fresh DB scheme for the upgrade ?

I used to use fresh DB scheme and install the latest JIRA using this scheme. Once the new JIRA is started, can import the xml from old one.

Suggest an answer