External links are unsearchable

Tuomas Hara February 11, 2013

Hi,

I have several external links in my space, marked as normal links (a-tag) and having these human readable textual ids as link text showing to user. Now I tried to search these ids, but the search results don't show any of these links, only other places where similar texts appear in content.

Aren't link texts indexed as normal content apparently is? These ids are very important way for us to find pages.

Br,

Tuomas Hara

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tuomas Hara October 27, 2013

It turned out to be problem with the indexing language setting. It has to be set to English for the search to find numeric strings. So the external links were mostly numeric in our case.

0 votes
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2013

Hi Tuomas,

I tested this locally and the ID from the link was a unique word that did not appear anywhere else in my site. After rebuilding the index, just to be sure the new change was picked up, the search for the unique ID from the link returned the correct page.

I would try rebuilding your content index if it's not getting picked up.

Puja Deverakonda October 20, 2013

Hi Ryan! Great answer, very helpful. Would also be interested in whether you can "tag" links and make them searchable with other tagged content. Thoughts?

0 votes
Puja Deverakonda October 20, 2013

Hi Tuomas, I have the same question and would love to know the answer from Atlassian! I also have an add on question: can you "tag" links to make them searchable with other tagged content?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events