Explain SourceTree updates

Hi all,

When I go to https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ and use what is there I eventually get to windows installer download which claims it is of version and there is not a single information to it .... there are not any release notes explaining what is new in there.

When I install it and run it it tells me that there are updates available !! where there is no information about such version on the web and also it provides release notes on what is new. Supprisingly enough the version I have just downloaded from the web, the very same version which notifies me about the update. is not mentioned in the release notes even if it is a final minor change on that major version. Instead of that it jumps directly to to a major/minor release of which suprisingly is not available at the webpage and even continues describing releases up to where there is also no word about it at the web page.

This kind of raises a lot of questions like:

1/ where is this version available from ?
2/ why it is not mentioned at official webpage ? 3/ is it connection to somewhat hacked repository where backdored versions are available ?
4/ In case I'm working in a compeny where there are policies about software installations and software used in the comapny needs to be repackaged - where I'm supposed to get original packages of these versions ?
5/ I don't remember requesting installation of development versions of SourceTree - and if there was I cannot see any option to turn it of (besides "Don't promp me about new sourcetree installation." which is not exactly the same)

Such behaviour might be cool for teen developers but not so much in the responsible adult world.

Is here please anyone who may explain the updates of SourceTree to me please?

1 answer

0 vote

Hi SourceTree operates a process of progressive rollouts.

i.e. was the standard GA release.

We made some changes/fixes and built Once that build has passed our QA processes we are ready to release it, but because we have approximately 1 million users we expect edge cases to appear. We want to minimize shipping regressiosn to the whole user base.

So we rollout the next version, e.g. to 5% of users to start with.

The % is managed by the installer tech, Squirrel.Windows, which applies a randomized percentage to each installation. If your install falls under the release percentage you will be offered the upgrade, otherwise you will not.

Dependeing on the response we then aim to progressively increase the % over a week or so, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% upto 100%. Once we hit 100% we update the download link to the new version

You raise an interesting point about whether the future release, e.g. in the above case shoudl be available as a download from day one, before it reach 100%

hope that helps clarify.

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your answer.

The process actually makes sense to me, but I would say that such explanation of the upgrade politics of yours should be stated somewhere (possibly on the sourcetreeapp webapage)

Ad to the point of the future release availability: Remains to be reconsidered on your side of course, but ... Subjectively the obscurity doesn't make very good impression when found out.

Have a nice day,

Best Regards.

Adam Dedek / Jira SupportCommerzbank

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

113 views 2 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot