Epics not displayed in SCRUM board when excluding Fix Versions

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2013

After createing an epic in GH (v6.1.2) the epic can not be viewed on the plamming screen.

I found this - - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Your+issue+XXX+has+been+created+but+is+not+currently+visible+on+the+Rapid+Board

but it did not resolve the issue. The "problem" is in the filter. If I configure the scrum board and set the filter to this:

project = abc

the epic displays as expected. If I configure the scrum board and set the filter to this:

project = abc AND fix version is EMPTY

the epic displays as expected. If I configure the scrum board and set the filter to this:

project = abc, AND fix version not in (blue, green, red)

The epic is not displayed. When I create a new epic, I get the message "Your issues XXX has been created but is not currently visible."

We need to set a scrum board to exclude specific fix versions. How do we do this and see our epics?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Unfortunately EMPTY is a magic value in JQL and does not match filters like 'not in' (since there is no value at all). Try a filter like:

project = abc and (fixversion = empty or fixversion not in (blue, green, red))

Thanks,
Shaun

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Thank you Shaun!!!!!!

0 votes
Steven Whittington September 6, 2018

Thanks had a very similar problem with a board that I only wanted to show specific fixVersions but it wouldn't show any Epics on the board until I included ....OR issuetype = Epic into the query. 

0 votes
Eric March 4, 2013

To fix this issue, assign your Epic issue (the JIRA issue representing the Epic) to the Fix-In Version(s) that will meet the filter criteria for inclusion. The epic information will magically appear when you do this.

This behavior still seems like a bug to me though.

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2013

Did you try Shawn's suggestion above?

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2013

This is pretty fundamental to the nature of how the boards work, before anything else happens the board selects relevant issues using the filter, only items that match the filter can appear.

Just use JQL like "... or ( issuetype = Epic and fixVersion = empty )" to pick up any Epics even if they don't have the fix version used for the rest of the board filter.

Cheers,
Shaun

Like Sunil Juneja likes this
Eric March 4, 2013

Shawn's answer is not relevant to my scenario. My issue is that the I'm creating multiple boards for one project. I have two boards, each filtered to show one fix-in version. I have issues already tagged with an Epic and the Epic information doesn't show on the board on which they're displaying. I'll admit this is a nonstandard use case. The work-around I posted does work but it's not readily obvious why the Epics are missing initially. I suspect that a variation on your response may work also (explictily filtering out the Epic issues on the board), but that's not intuitive to me initially since Epics are not conceptually issues (despite JIRA/GH treating them as such under the covers).

Ryan Meinzer February 24, 2015

Thanks. That fixed an oddity for me.

0 votes
Eric March 4, 2013

+1 I see the same behavior when specifically filtering to a single version on a board. For whatever reason the Epics do not display on the left side.

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2013

What happens if you change the query to project = abc AND NOT fixVersion in (1.0,1.1,1.2)?

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

John,

I modified the filter as you suggested. The results were the same, the epics still do not display in the SCRUM board.

Suggest an answer