Email a comment

Peter Peter February 2, 2012

Hi,

New to Jira here.

How can I enter a case comment and have that comment sent out by email to some email address -- which might be internal or external to my organization?

Thanks....

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012

The "Email this issue" plugin seems to fit your requirements.

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/4977

It handles cc: and emails to people external to your organization (without them needing to be JIRA users).

The body of the email will be added to the issue as a comment... thus giving you an audit trail that records that the email was sent.

So far, none of these responses seems to address what I want to do. I am not trying to send email from a mail client to both Jira and aome individuals, though that is useful too.

What I am trying to do is enter a comment from the web interface. When I enter the comment, I want to also add one or more email recipients for that comment only. I don't want these recipients to be watchers of the case. The watchers will of course get an email update anyway.

As an example, the recipient might be someone else within my organization whom I want to make aware of what I am doing, or might be a customer who should get an update on the progress of an issue he reported.

Wait, wait. I should have looked at the 4977 plugin before responding. It in fact *does* look like it will do what I want. Sorry for the distraction....

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012

You can add those users as watchers to your issue and whenever you have a comment, Jira will send out a mail to the watchers if you have set the Notification Scheme associated with the project to do the same.

Of course this means that each of these email-ids are associated with a user within Jira.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2012

yup +1, got my wires crossed

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2012

From the face of it, Id suggest just adding a cc: (no, really!)? if you already know the address is there a problem with that? Sometimes, you might want to cnosider flipping it around, mailing the user and send a cc: to a JIRA issue, which might be more personal and retain a record in JIRA. Can you expand on your expected use?

Hi, In the version of Jira I am using I don't see any option when making a comment to add a Cc:. That's what I'm asking how to do.

Suggest an answer