Editing jira issues in a grid

Chetan Baheti July 21, 2013

I am looking for a plugin that will allow me to edit searched jira issues in a grid - much like excel. Couldn't really find one in the jira market place section or on google. So question 1 - is there a plugin (free or paid) that I can use to do this.

I also looked at what it would take to create a custom plugin to support this functionality. I looked at Jira Search Request View. I was wondering if we can use this with a view that allows editing of the individual fields displayed in the search grid. I will have to figure out the details on how inline editing would work and how stuff would get saved, but at a high level does this sound plausible?

Note - This approach may sound naive, but I have no background in doing development on Jira API

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2013

I'm afraid this is not yet possible. I've not seen a plugin that allows it either.

If there were one, I'd expect it to be like the standard issue navigator, but with inline-edit enabled on the fields. I have a memory of a discussion about this when inline-edit arrived, and I seem to remember someone from Atlassian saying that this was what they were heading towards. Although, it's really not easy - they've got the long-standing bug with the navigator not showing fields, and somehow the navigator would have to interrogate EVERY field to find out if it's editable for that project/issue-type/issue. (Of course, that's apocryphal and from my memory, so don't quote me. They could have changed direction or my memory could well be completely wrong)

3 votes
Janos Biro October 19, 2015

Hi guys,

With JExcel  you can edit JIRA issues in grid just like in Excel.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.jexcel

I hope it helped,

Regards,

Janos

0 votes
Cesar Salazar February 26, 2019

I just was looking for the same. Found this plugin (haven't tested it yet though) https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214580/excel-like-issue-editor-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

0 votes
Sarah Buck September 9, 2013

Structure plugin has some grid editing capabilities

Shradha Singh June 3, 2015

Yes Structure plugin supports inline edit of issues in Structure widget. Please share if anybody has idea about any plugin other than Structure.

0 votes
Chetan Baheti July 22, 2013

Thanks for the inputs Nic. I did find an open Jira ticket for the same functionality. But looks like its not on a priority.

Suggest an answer