Yes, due to currently using an external provider for its video capabilities, HipChat Server still requires some internet connectivity for video as outlined in the HipChat Server FAQs, see Does HipChat Server need outbound internet access?:
HipChat Server uses outbound internet access for the following reasons:
- Fetching upgrade information from Atlassian
- Fetching integration listings from the Atlassian Marketplace
- Routing video traffic through our Cloud video server
- Sending mobile notifications for Android and IOS devices
This is further confirmed in the referenced System Requirements, see Outbound TCP Ports:
- Chat client systems must meet AddLive's connectivity requirements for video and screen sharing
I would hope that this might change some day due to Atlassian's recent acquisition of Blue Jimp & Jitsi.org, however, I'm not aware of any roadmap details in this regard.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs