Does the Release Burndown report support the use of rolled up sub-task estimates?

Andrew Ritchie March 2, 2016

It looks like the Release Burndown only considers a Story's original estimate value, not the sum of the estimates for all the sub-tasks.  Setting the Story's original estimate value to be the same as the sum of the estimates from it's sub-tasks will work for the Release Burndown but will screw up/skew the "Sum of Original Estimates" value on the Story (as it will add the Story Original Estimate to the rollup from all the Sub-tasks).

Is there a way to base the Release Burndown on the sum of the sub-task estimates?

3 answers

0 votes

In an ideal world I would be doing it with Story Points but we're not there yet.  If the Sprint Burndown chart can track time remaining against aggregated original estimates then so should the Release Burndown.  JIRA Agile should be consistent across all views and reports based upon the settings chosen (otherwise what's the point of providing the options?).

I could probably frig it by setting the Story points = Aggregated Original Estimates from the subtasks and then base the board configuration on Story Points rather than Original Time Estimates but it just adds additional overhead to maintain.

0 votes
Mike Fair March 2, 2016

I get the vibe that story points are only supposed to be assigned to a story, and that sub tasks are supposed to be 'estimated' using hours.  But I don't understand why a heterogeneous estimating philosophy is good, I would think it would be better to maintain consistency.  Why not just use story points everywhere, and let the computer track velocity implicitly, thereby producing its own guestimate as to when a task or story will get done?

0 votes

This is for JIRA Agile

Suggest an answer