Does "Simplified Workflow" prohibit use of resolution?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2012

Here's what I'm seeing:

After turning on a Simplified Workflow in GH 6.x, an issue is then followed via the custom columns which represent states. However, when the issue reaches the end (done) column, there is no prompting to ask the resolution (ie fixed, wontfix, duplicate, etc.).

So oddly, in Jira's full view of the issue, the state of the issue is Resolved (or Closed even) yet the resolution still shows "Unresolved".

That is, there doesn't seem to be a way to ever update "resolution" of an issue once it's handled in GH 6.x's Simplified Workflow. Correct?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pascal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

With support from Atlassian, I found that the Greenhopper workflows do not show transitions in the workflow diagram, but if you look at the workflow in textual form, you'll see the actual "complete graph" of transitions.

If you look at the details of the "Resolved" and "Closed" transitions, you'll see that one of the postfunctions is set to clear the resolution field. If your workflow is active, create a draft, remove the "clear postfunction" and publish the workflow. Now everything should work fine (it did in my case).

devrimdemiroz June 8, 2018

worked for me, thnx!

0 votes
Peter Drier October 18, 2012

The workflow created by Greenhopper when I "Simplify workflow" now has the warning on it (when I go to edit)

"Generated by GreenHopper version 6.0.4-rc2. This workflow is managed internally by GreenHopper. Do not manually modify this workflow."

Does this mean I can't edit it? That's what it implies to me..

0 votes
Peter Drier October 17, 2012

The workflow created by Greenhopper when I "Simplify workflow" now has the warning on it (when I go to edit)

"Generated by GreenHopper version 6.0.4-rc2. This workflow is managed internally by GreenHopper. Do not manually modify this workflow."

Does this mean I can't edit it? That's what it implies to me..

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2012

One minor update. If the project is created directly from GreenHopper, then the resolution will be set automatically when the issue moves to the last column. Only when converting an existing project by 'Simply Workflow', this behaviour is shown. And the explanation of this behaviour from GreenHopper PM is available at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5741

0 votes
Pascal
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

Doug, I'm having the exact same problem. I reported it as a bug with Atlassian.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2012

Looks like it. We have seen this coming in the forum before.

You will have to modify the workflow to set resolution in the last step or add the resolution screen so that you will get the popup.

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2012

Thanks, Jobin! It'd be nice if they allowed us to set one or more of the custom columns as those we'd like to update resolution on. For now, I'll attempt updating the workflow manually.

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2012

Actually, I'm not seeing how to configure the workflow to set resolution at any particular step. Quick bit of advice? I'm in the workflow editor. I don't see what you apply to a step that says "now ask for resolution".

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2012

Ask for resolution is done by adding the resolution screen. Or a new screen with resolution on it. If you know a purticular resolution, like "Done", to be applied all the time, you can use "Update Issue Field" post function.

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

I just got through doing this and found it failed. I went back to edit the Simplified Workflow that Jira created when we set it up in Greenhopper. I went into the Diagram editor and found the Resolved state, clicked edit and added the transition of the Resolution screen. Then I did the same for Closed state.

I went back to happily find the screen pop up once hitting these states, but THEN, was unhappy to see that Jira didn't actually update with the resolutions! Resolution still showed "unresolved" even though I chose fixed!! This is a bug, IMO.

Pascal
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

Doug, I'm having the exact same problem. I reported it as a bug with Atlassian.

Suggest an answer