Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SourceTree application work on Windows Server 2012

Nikolaj Ivancic August 14, 2014

The answer should be yes, but I am having problems getting it to run in any context since I upgraded my Windows Server 2008R2 to Windows Server 2012R2 (which I am using for development)

Details: I already have a bunch of repositories on bitbucket, so I am trying to make a local clone. Here is what I see

Note the partially obscured Details button which if pressed results with:

The "clone from" url is correct, and I have no problems accessing that repository from a different computer.

Please advise

Regards

Nik Ivancic

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nikolaj Ivancic August 20, 2014

Problem solved (I could not dump this tool so easily, as I really like it more than any other). Here is what I did:

1. Updated the embedded Git
  2. Used the TS's PuTTY Key generator to create a new key and saved it locally
  3. Used the TS's Tools->Options->General dialog and configured SSH Client to use that key

Everything works fine now, and I would stronly suggest to improve the error recovery messages :-)

1 vote
Nikolaj Ivancic August 15, 2014

SourceTree did work on this machine before with the qualification that Microsoft updates are often changing the definition of "this machine". All I know that SourceTree worked before and does not work now.

As I explained before, I have over 20 repositories created with SourceTree over last 6 months, so your explanation "he button bar is almost all per-repository, so they should be disabled if you haven't been able to create a repository yet." really means that toolbar items are disabled because I cannot open any of thes repositories

Here are some pictures that should further clarify my statements.

The Git not enabled state comes from:

I believe that I took too much time from you and I am simply going to dump SourceTree with the assessment "insufficiently reliable to use".

Thanks for all your effort though :-)

Nikolaj Ivancic August 15, 2014

Problem solved (I could not dump this tool so easily, as I really like it more than any other). Here is what I did:

1. Updated the embedded Git
  2. Used the TS's PuTTY Key generator to create a new key and saved it locally
  3. Used the TS's Tools->Options->General dialog and configured SSH Client to use that key

Everything works fine now, and I would stronly suggest to improve the error recovery messages :-)

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2014

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the problem and solution. Hopefully Atlassian will review this question and make some appropriate changes.

Nikolaj Ivancic August 17, 2014

Actually, thank you Seth for sticking with me. I was under the impression that you work for Atlassian, so realizing that it is not the case, I appreciate your help even more.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

SourceTree works as a BitBucket client, but is not primarily one. I don't believe it does or should make any attempt to verify trusted certificates with any site. To verify/fix the certificate problem, try to SSH to your remote. If the certificate isn't trusted, you should be prompted to trust it (permanently) or reject it (for now).

0 votes

I believe that Seth Foss is right suspecting the certificate problem. However, I did uninstall and then install newer version of Sourcetree tool and the installation process did not deal with certificates at all. So, the real problem seems to be centered at the installation wizard (or unistall process that leaves something behind that makes the installation wizard under the impression that the secure connection with the bitbucket server is already taken charge off).

Is there a way to really uninstall SourceTree (other than using the Windows Uninstall Program service)?

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

Your URL Actions dialog is unusually narrow, which is why Details is getting covered.

Try to clone using command line Git from the same machine. That error message can occur if there is a certificate problem, or if Git is not installed correctly. Either of those problems should be easier to diagnose from the command line.

The URL Actions dialog is not resizable, so the Details button should never be covered. Also, the content of the Details dialog should never be empty. Most importantly, the certificate problem should not be explained as "This is not a valid source path / URL" :-)

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

The URL Actions dialog automatically sizes based on the overall window size. Are you running a resolution smaller than 800x600? If not, try making SourceTree full-screen.

I agree that the error message is uselessly vague. So is it a certificate problem?

I am running 1920 x 1200 resolution and making SourceTree use full screen, the dialog we are discussing here shows up the same way (same width). This is really just a side note, as I am trying to make my SourceTree to work, not argue minor sizing issues :-)

In order to determine whether I am having a certificate problem or not, I would like to stay as close to the problem as possible, which is why I have not yet done the "git clone" experiment you suggested. So, here is my alternative test:

Using this same SorceTree instance, I can see all of my hosted repositories (both github and bitbucket, I could edit my accounts (at github and bitbucket) just by clicking on the "Show Hosted Repositories" button on the bottom left side of the SourceTree app. I would hope that all these actions are done using SSH so the fact that I can do all that would indicate that I do not have a certificate problem (particularly since all this worked last time I used SourceTree a month ago).

What I cannot do is to open any of these repositories, by double clicking on the respective list item on the Hosted repositories buttton. At that point I get that incorrectly sizzed URL Actions dialog.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

It is possible that you don't actually have Git installed, or SourceTree can't find it. Are you using "embedded" git or "system" git? You should be able to find out in the options dialog.

When I click on SourceTree's "Terminal" button, I get MINGW32:/c/program File (x86)/Atlassian/SourceTree "DOS Command Window pop up:

Welcome to Git (version 1.8.5.2-preview20131230)

It is surprising that SourceTree had most of the button bar buttons disabled - including the right-most "Settings" button. So, poking all menu items (all of which are enabled) I found this:

Click on Tools->Launch SSH agent ... does not to anything

Click on Tools->Options shows that

1. I have no SSH key
  2. All of my passwords are there saved nicely
  3. Git support is currently disabled

Probably both 1. and 3. are causes for my problem, but I did not want to change anything before your advice as I do not want to get something swept under the carpet.

Please note that all this worked before and I have no idea how did SourceTree get in such semi-functional state.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2014

"This all worked before" - did it work before on this machine?

If Launch SSH agent does nothing, you may not have one installed.

The button bar is almost all per-repository, so they should be disabled if you haven't been able to create a repository yet.

I've never seen Git support "disabled" before. Could you post a screenshot of what that looks like?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events