Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Atlassian have a VPAT for 508 compliance?

Doug Earp October 7, 2011

Does Atlassian have a VPAT for 508 compliance for Confluence?

The Voluntary Product Accessibility Template®, or VPAT®, is a tool used to document a product's conformance with the accessibility standards under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. The purpose of the VPAT is to assist Federal contracting officials and other buyers in making preliminary assessments regarding the availability of commercial "Electronic and Information Technology" products and services with features that support accessibility.

It is assumed and recommended that offerers will provide additional contact information to facilitate more detailed inquiries.

To download a Word Version of the VPAT Click Here

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sean Curtis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2015

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ACCESSIBILITY/Confluence+VPAT+for+Section+508+compliance

We have only audited the main user tasks (logging in, creating content, commenting, etc) at the moment, but that document should provide a rough overview of how things stand.

More general Accessibility information and contact info is available here: https://www.atlassian.com/accessibility

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2011

Never heard of it. You might want to tell us which one of the 196(ish) countries in the world this is from?

0 votes
Deepa Siddharthan November 18, 2014
  1. Open the topic/page containing the image in the Confluence Editor.
  2. Select the image and click Edit.
  3. Fill the Title and Alternate Text fields.
  4. Click OK to save your changes.
0 votes
Stephen Gramm October 24, 2014

How to you do this exactly so that ALT Text displays correctly?  Thanks in advance for your help.

0 votes
Deepa Siddharthan October 7, 2014

Is there a way to track if the images on the Confluence wiki page are 508-compliant or not? 
Currently, we must manually locate and hover over each image to check if the image shows Alt Text. If not, edit the page, and modify the Title field to display the correct Alt Text.

FYI, updating only Alternate Text field for images has no effect. You must update the Title field for images to display Alternate text.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2011

David, I'm very aware of web accessibility issues, I've worked with heavily visually impaired people and their helper organisations quite a lot, as well as people with other communication issues. My main client at the moment has an absolute mandate to make their output accessable to the widest possible audience. They provide quite a popular website, so we're very very aware of all of this.

Despite this, I've never heard of that random string pointing to some country-specific legislation. It's utterly irrelevant in my country (and meta-state), and in fact, to most of the world. The countries in which I've worked have significantly more stringent accessibility laws.

My point is not that the question has been asked, it's a prefectly good question at it's core, and it deserves an answer, which Larry has given. But the question assumes the whole world is aware of laws in one country. I can't remember most of the laws in my own country, let alone the rest of the world.

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 7, 2011
0 votes
Larry Talley October 7, 2011

The status of U.S. section 508 compliance has been documented at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DISC/Confluence+Section+508+Accessibility+Compliance

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events