Dita2Wiki in On-Demand

Cheryl Schmelzer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

Can we use Dita2Wiki with an On-Demand Confluence solution? If yes, how we we access the server?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cheryl Schmelzer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

Thank you, Nic. Appreciate your quick response. We will look into this further.

0 votes
Tom Rathkamp September 24, 2013

I will get you as much detail as I can. I know that it uses JAVA, Apache ANT, and XML technologies to convert the DITA XML into Wiki Markup. It also does dynamic wiki space creation based on space validation (if a specified space does not exist, it is created dynamically).

0 votes
Tom Rathkamp September 24, 2013

Hello Nic. I am reasonably sure that the tool's purpose is to output to a format that Confluence understands. Because I have not seen it work, I am naturally skeptical as well. But it does advertise that it uses DITA Map files (collections of topic) and creates a Confluence left nav hieracrchy, along with the individual pages. The limitations with the On-Demand version might win out here. I can post the areas of the output message from the Dita2wiki (command line) if that would help. Thanks again for checking into this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2013

Ok, but there's no detail about how you'd import it here, or what the format is. I think you need to check the documentation to find out what "it wants access to the server" means.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2013

Depends on what you are intending to do with it. Confluence has it's own storage format, so there's probably no direct converstion you can do (most wiki's have their own formats - old versions of Confluence used wiki markup, but it was a different makup to MediaWiki, MoinMoin and the rest. Later versions of Confluence use a form of dhtml).

I think this all depends on what you mean by "use". What are you trying to do here?

Cheryl Schmelzer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2013

Thank you, Nic. We are trying to pull in content from Oxygen XML Author into Confluence using a tool named Dita2Wiki. The process requires access to the Confluence server, which I don't believe we have access to since we are using On-Demand. My question is - can we get access to the server to pull this data into Confluence. Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2013

Ok, well, there's still two issues here

"pull in content" - I have a strong feeling that Dita2Wiki simply won't output anything Confluence will understand. I don't know the tool, but unless it specifically says "I can produce dhtml and I'm compatible with Confluence", then I have doubts.

"It wants access to the server". What type of access? You've got a UI and you can certainly use REST access to update Confluence. OnDemand limits you to those two options, but if you're running your own, you could look at SQL access as well (although I'd highly recommend NOT doing that)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events