Different number of issues in filter and on board

I trying to set up a Greenhopper scrum board to show all issues from an existing project.

I have created a filter as follows:

project = AXS AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, Closed) ORDER BY Rank ASC

This shows as 181 issues.

When I configure my Greenhopper scrum board using this filter, I see only 92 issues.

The 181 issues contains 8 epics. I understand why they are not showing as cards on the scrum board as they are used as filters.

However, I can't work out why the other 81 issues are not showing up. Any ideas, anyone?

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

hi david..

can you run this jql in the issue navigator and see if the number of results matches those you're missing?

project = AXS AND status not in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, Closed) ORDER BY Rank ASC

what's confusing me atm is that my board filters by default only are like:

project = <project> ORDER BY Rank ASC

you know that issue states are beeing mapped to columns. you can configure this in board configuration.

also note QuickFilters.

i am wondering if i understand you correct..so let's just try

hmm and what happens if you leave out the states in your board filter?

project = AXS ORDER BY Rank ASC

as you say scrum....

can you check the EPICS Panel on the left side of your board. maybe some selection is highlighted what autmatically will hide other issues

NB. project = AXS ORDER BY Rank ASC also returns 181 issues.

Thanks for the quick response.

When I try running that jql in the issue navigator, it finds no issues ("No issues were found to match your search").

I have checked the board's columns. Actually the numbers of issues showing on that screen do add up to 181 and none of the statuses is in the 'unmapped' area - they are all mapped to columns.

I'm not using any Quick Filters on my board.

Must have been writing at the same time just now - see my answer above.

Also just tried creating a brand new board pointing to the same project. This time (perhaps because I now am using the advanced filter editor?) it started with

project = APEX-SMART ORDER BY Rank ASC

Same results, though. 181 issues in issue filter view.

When I look at the brand new board, there are the same number of issues showing - this is actually 95, not 92 (sorry, a mistake earlier). There are 92 in 'Sprint 3' and three recently created (yesterday/today) issues in the Backlog at the bottom.

Hmm...it has created 'Sprint 3' automatically. I though I'd done that. So I'm guessing it's excluding any issues that were tagged as 'Sprint 1' or 'Sprint 2'. (NB. I'm new in the company and have taken over this board from someone else who has just left).

The project has quite a lot of issues from Sprint 1 and Sprint 2 that are not yet closed, so I wanted to set up a board to show the whole project. Any ideas about whether that's possible?

I didn't have any epic filters on, by the way.

'Sprint 3' is a fix version, but looking in the issue navigator, there appears to be only 24 issues tagged with that fix version. Hmm...quite strange.

Have downloaded all issues as a spreadsheet. I see there is also a 'Sprint' field, which is being used, but there are 129 issues tagged with Sprint 3. Still confused.

Okay - I have worked it out...

Items are appearing on my Plan board under 'Sprint 3' if the Sprint field contains 'Sprint 3' AND the issue is not issue type sub-task.

Items are appearing on my Plan board under 'Backlog' if the status is not 'closed' OR is not an epic.

I suppose it makes sense not to show subtasks on the planning board, and I suppose it makes sense that closed issues should not show on the backlog, but it would be nice if this were a bit clearer.

Thanks for trying to help, C.Faysal. I helped for me to talk it through with someone, at least. Much appreciated.

Hey david. Sorry for the delay. Had to go and get some valentinesday gift for my girl. Glad to hear you fixed it. I was about to ask for sub-issues but you already worked it out. Regards

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 12m ago in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

2 views 0 1
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you