Different fields on issue creation screens

Deleted user December 9, 2012

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this comes over as an easy question I could get the answer too from the docs/answers - I have honestly searched but can't seem to find a clear answer! I think I've just made a silly mistake somewhere but any help would be greatfully received!

We have just started using JIRA on demand. At the moment the business here uses a variety of tools for issue management and we want to switch everything to JIRA. The problem I have (which i think I can solve with JIRA) is that I need to have 2 different input forms for issues; One for business users that has a set of simple fields, one for the dev/test team that has more detail. I also need to make sure that when someone selects the the issue type the correct instance of the form is displayed (this will be one of our biggest barriers to adoption). Ideally I'd like to have the same fields associated with each issue type but with some hidden on the simple form - once the issues have gone through triage we will unhide the fields and fill them in for the users.

So far, I've created a simple issue type and tried to create a screen definition for it. However when I associate it with a project it seems to affect all the screens for that project. If I include fields in one issue type it seems to appear in the other.

As I said above, any help will really be appreciated!!

3 answers

0 votes
SS September 2, 2014

Hi ,

We are using JIRA v6.2.7 and JIRA Agile also.

We have a requirement where in a Project we have one Create Issue Screen. WE are using "Sprint" field on that screen, becuase of this whenever a user creates a issue, "Sprint" field is visible to him/her and user tries to fill Sprint value in it. However we dont want specific users (developers) to fill that field. We only want Component Owners to fill that field for any issue. How can we achieve this? After reading this thread I have got one solution:

1. Add an extra tab "Component Owner" and move "Sprint" field to it.

2. I could not understand "What you can do is create 2 screens one for the issue creation with the fields for the users and from there on add the 2nd screen with the fields used by the developers."--- by Thiago Ribeiro . How can this be done?

3. Is there a way by which some field permissions can be changed so that with same "Create Issue Screen", "Sprint" field is visible to only Component Owners and not developers ??

Thanks & Regds

SS

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

No. Jira does not do field level permissions.

Thiago's solution moves the "edit" of a field into the workflow, it does not affect the create issue step or change the way the field works or is offered to users. If you did it that way, you would create the issue without the sprint field and then have a "Change sprint" link after creation which is limited to certain users.

SS September 2, 2014

Thanks Nic for your response.

Would you please explain steps or suggest me some links where I can read the process to "move the edit of field into the workflow".

Another question : If you did it that way, you would create the issue without the sprint field (SS: what does this mean, will "Sprint" field become invisible for others or will it be visible but users are not supposed to use it) and then have a "Change sprint" link after creation which is limited to certain users (SS: how can this "Change sprint" link be created. can u suggest steps/some links to implement this solution)

Appreciate all your help and support. This is actually affecting our process. Developers on seeing Sprint field always try to fill that in, with inappropriate values and we want to stop it.

Thanks & Regds

SS

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

Could you please re-read what Thiago and I said before. The answer to your first "SS" question is given in those. And again below in the method to protect the field.

• Create a screen with just "sprint" on it.
  • In your workflow, create new transitions that go back to the same status (e.g open -> open, in-progress -> in-progress, etc)
  • Use the new screen in those transitions
  • Use conditions on those transitions to limit them to the people who can edit sprints
  • Remove the sprint field from the create and edit screen
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2014

Hey SS, if you aren't restricted to OnDemand, and are open to using plugins, you might try "JIRA Workflow Toolbox"; it provides a workflow condition called "Condition based on regular expression". You could put this condition on the outgoing transition from your Create step, have it check if the Sprint field is filled in against the current user (reporter), and if they are not one of the people you specify it could fail the issue creation with an error message (like, "only Component Leads are allowed to apply a value to Sprint field").

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2012

You could also add field tabs to the create screen; the only drawback is that (with the exception of the Comment field) the fields cannot be in more than one tab in the screen. BUT, what you could do is put all the required/desired fields in the main tab, and then add an extra tab with a name like "Dev Only" that you add the "extra" fields to, and instruct the specified users to fill out the fields on that tab as well. :)

0 votes
Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2012

Hi Simon,

The best approach for you while using OnDemand is to create different screens.

If I understood you correctly the first steps (creation) will be done by Business users and from there on your Developers will work on the case which will have more fields on the issue.

What you can do is create 2 screens one for the issue creation with the fields for teh users and from there on add the 2nd screen with the fields used by the developers.

Note that you can't hide fields form the users, but if you set properly the permissions they will only be able to create the issues.

If you need more explanations and further assistance feel fre to contact Atlassian Support.

I hope it helps! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events