Daily burn up calculation

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

In the agile charts, there is an targeted burned up (red line), actual burn up based on closed/resolved issues and their associated story points (green line), and a brown line that is the required daily burn up.

However, I've not had success at getting a good definition as to how the required daily burn up is calculated and am hoping the forum can answer.

Scenario 1:

This is GH's example: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Viewing+the+Statistics+Burnup+Chart

The green line shows that all story points planned have been completed - so, the green line has achieved burning 22 UI points and the red line guideline was to burn 22 UI points. By that definition, the required daily burnup to achieve target should be 0 -- I have no more to do. However, the gadget continues to show an increased number of story points required per day such that the brown line meets the red line. I don't know why the brown line doesn't go to 0. It currently shows that 6 UI points per day are required for June 7 through June 11, or 4 days. That means that there are 4*6, or 24 UI points still needed to be complete. However, the guideline indicates only 22 are needed.

Scenario 2: I have 17 days left. I have burned 130 story points and am required to burn 167 story points at the end of 17 days. So, may daily burn rate is (167-130)/17 or 2.18 story points per day. However, may chart is showing a required daily burn of 10 and is projected to be higher.

Why does the daily burn up keep increasing, or higher than the calculation? Why does the required daily burn up, at the end of the release, have to equal the guideline - it is a daily calculation, not a cumulative.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2013

Per Atlassian, this is a bug - it is correct. However, they have not plans to fix since it is a classic board gadget. However, they currently don't have a respective board gadget to use - consequently, am disappointed that they are not fixing issues that are clearly showing and reporting inaccurate data/information without providing any alternative.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events