Customised hierarchy

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels

I'd like to create the following hierarchy levels:

1. Initiative (a big strategic topic, covers typically several projets)
    1. Epic (typically a big project)
      1. Story (a part of that project, mostly a specific stage of the projet)
        1. Task (Task within a story or project stage)
          1. Sub-Task (Classical sub-task of a bigger task)

However, I don't know how to change the default hierarchy: 

1. Epic
    1. Story
      1. Sub-Task

I can create an Initiative above Epic, but I cannot introduce a Task between Story and Sub-Task.

How can I adapt the default hierarchy to the 5 levels specified above? Is it possible at all? If nont what would you suggest to get those 5 levels?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

JIRA does not have a changeable hierarchy. 

JIRA Core allows for Project, Issue/Story, Sub-task.  (You could argue that Category groups projects and you can use components to break down issues within a project into other groups, but I don't see those as hierarchical)

JIRA Software adds Epics to that, converting the issue type to behave as a container for stories and issues.

JIRA Portfolio adds Initiatives.

And that's it really.  You can't wedge other layers in, it's simply not supported, as the hierarchy is hard coded. 

If you're on Server versions, you could add the Structure add-on, as that plays some tricks that makes it look like there are more layers within the Project/Story/Subtask framework, and it does it reliably and clearly.

Thanks Nic, short and clear. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

176 views 12 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot