Custom email template

Hi All,

I started to write a custom email template for a project. But hence I haven't done it before, I would like to ask for your help.

First of all, I don't know which is actually the email template? The one is in the 'WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/text' folder or the one is in the 'WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/html'?

Thanks in advance!

Rumi

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

The text one is for text emails, and the html templates for the html emails - have a look in your profile and you'll see you have a choice between html and plain text. You'll need to edit both to keep them in line.

Then people getting the text emails will see your changes. The people signed up for html won't. The two files are independent of each other.

Hi Nic,

thank you!

I am creating a custom email template. What if I create only one? E.g. the text one.

thank you!

Another question: I just downloaded a Jira instance for the email tests. In the setup wizard, I'd like to set an email but I got trouble with the SMTP host. Stupid question: if I would use gmail address, what will be the SMTP host?

Hi Jobin,

I checked:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• UnknownHostException: mail.gmail.com

Anyway where can we check what is the current SMTP server settings in an existing Jira. We have a prod instance but we don't find this settings.

Thanks

Rumi

Hi,

I met a problem: I try to set gmail as mail server.

In the manual there is a line: "Move (not copy) the 'activation' and 'mail' JAR files from the from the <jira-application-dir>/WEB-INF/lib/ subdirectory of the JIRA Installation Directory to the /common/lib (Tomcat 5.5) or /lib (Tomcat 6) subdirectory of the JIRA Installation Directory (for 'recommended' distributions of JIRA) or the lib/ subdirectory of the application server running JIRA.
For example, on a *nix-based system, at a shell prompt, change directory into the JIRA Installation Directory (of a 'recommended' distribution of JIRA) and enter the following:"

But where is the common/lib folder???? The JIRA Installation Directory is the <jira-application-dir>/WEB-INF/lib/ where these 2 files reside.

See:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Using+Gmail+as+a+JIRA+Mail+Server

Move it to the JIRA_Install_directory/lib folder. common/lib is no more there.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

53 views 2 4
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you