Crucible: marking a comment thread in a review as "addressed"

Ivan Kaschenko August 3, 2014

I'd like to make a little functional suggesstion to Crucible - or please let me know if a simiar feature is already available in the product.

Case: dozens of open code review on the project, many questions/comments raised in each, lots of those questions/comments have some answers or deeper discussions; in a particular case a complete code review means a permissions to check-in the code.

Problem: as a coordinator on the project, I don't have a visibility on a % completion in each open code review. Instead, to understand if a particular code review has all issues in it addressed - I need to manually look through all comments in it. So, this is about some element of tracking issues within code reviews.

Suggestion: let the first comment in each thread within a review have a checkbox like "addressed" or similar. And let an author of that comment plus moderator have permissions to check/uncheck it. When a reviewer is satisfied with an Author's answer on the comment - reviewer just checks that mark - and on Reviews dashboard this shifts a progress % of a review. Creating a Jira issue from Cruciblel comment might be the case of automatic set to "addressed' (because tracking is moved to another tool, i.e. a problem will not be lost anyway). If anyone adds a reply in "addressed" comments - that clears the indicator meaning that needs an author's/moderator's attention again.

1 answer

0 votes
Nate Schley April 2, 2015

Even as one whose work is getting reviewed, I came to Atlassian looking for the same solution Ivan proposes.

As author, there is a difference between me having read a comment, versus me having done what's necessary to address the comment. 

More comments + more files -->

• harder to track everything to completion
  • easier for author to ACK a comment with complete good intentions and then lose it in the chaos of life without completing the action.

As a 1st step towards implementation, I'd be happy if Ivan's proposed checkbox was in place & indicated on a per-file basis, as comments presently are.

Other aspects, like using these un-checked boxes to block review completion, JIRA intertactions, etc., can be phase II deliverables.

Speaking of feature creep, Phase III of this feature roll-out could be a separate page in each review inventorying all comments, perhaps optionally filtering out those that are complete.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events