Crowd load-balancing

Based on unofficial(?) information it would seem that while Crowd does not officially support clustering, there might be some setups where it can be made to work.

The set-up that we have in mind is:

• Two MySQL servers with failover. The cluster has a virtual IP that always points to the active node.
  • Two Crowd servers behind a load balancer. The Crowd instances would be configured to use the database server's virtual IP for database connections.
  • Applications only perform authentication through the load balancer. For administration tasks we can directly connect to just one of the Crowd nodes.

So my questions are:

• Can we expect Crowd to work reliably in this kind of setup?
  • Do we need to disable authorization caching in Crowd?
  • Are there other caching considerations?
  • Do we need separate licenses for the load-balanced Crowd instances?

2 answers

1 accepted

We do exactly this, except we also do administration tasks through the LB.

Answers:

1. Yes, although multi-step wizards (adding an application) don't work correctly if passed back through different servers (via LB). We turn off LB for the minute or so it takes to add a new application. Modifying an applicaiton works through the LB.

2. No.

3. Yes, you need to make sure you are using a Database Cache (not Memory) for Authentication Token Storage.

4. No, or at least that was what was mentioned in the forums years ago when I asked.

Cheers,

Graham.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

247 views 4 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you