Creating issues based on the sender's email address

Bjarne Svanberg August 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Creating issues and comments from email

I would like to be able to create a "Bug" in a specific project whenever an email is sent to JIRA from a certain email address. Whenever JIRA receives an email from anyone else an issue of type "Task" is created. In order for this to work I need to be able to filter based on the sender's email address.

Is this possible?

Best regards -Bjarne

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016

The JIRA's mail handler won't distinguish emails based on the sender email. You can create two separate emails one for bug and another for task, but ticket will be created whenever someone sends an email to these addresses.

Bjarne Svanberg August 22, 2016

Since this is in regards to JIRA Cloud I am not in control of the email address that JIRA will respond to. As far as I know I only have one email address to send to, which is jira@my_example_project.atlassian.net

If there is a way to setup more email addresses on the my_example_project.atlassian.net domain that would be a fine solution as well, but I don't know how to do that.

It would be nice to have bug@my_example_project.atlassian.net and task@my_example_project.atlassian.net

Suggest an answer