Create new issue / add comment from email doesn't support regex

I would like to have a single email address per project to both create new issues AND append comments to existing issues.  I tried using this email handler: "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" as documented here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-779288896.html 

However, the append comments functionality is clunky.  The entire email body is inserted as a comment, even if it was already there.

There's a separate email handler that uses regex to detect the end of the new comment, but that option is not available in the "Create new OR append comment" handler.

I then tried creating two handlers, but the create+append handler executes before the comment only handler.

The only other option I can see is to create 2 email addresses for every project - one for new jira items, and one for updates.  But with dozens of project and people, no one will be able to keep this straight.

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 9 hours ago in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

23 views 3 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you