Create Linked Issue for Custom Link Type

Here's the scenario I am trying to solve:

1. Story is created. When story moves to In Progress, a new QA task is created with a custom link type (Parent/Child) where Story = Parent and Task = Child.

2. Once the linked QA task moves to Done, a second Review linked task is created and linked to the original Story (Step 1) with a custom link type (Parent/Child) where Story = Parent and Task = Child.

So that there is one parent Story and two linked Child tasks for Step 1 and Step 2.

I have Step 1 working using Automation for JIRA, but I can't seem to get the second task (Step 2) to link to the original story. I think the issue is that I need to determine if there is a smart value for the custom link type (Parent/Child). I've tried using {{issue.Parent}} as shown, but it simply will create the new task but not link it.

Screen Shot 01-12-18 at 10.34 AM.PNG

I know that this could be solved easier using Epics and/or Sub-Tasks, but this is not a viable option in this case. Any ideas?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Scott Harwood Community Champion Jan 14, 2018

Hi Stephan,

You can access the linked issues like this:

{{issue.issuelinks.last.inwardIssue.key}}

But unfortunately for your case, there is no way to restrict it to just a "Parent/Child" link type. So if there were more than one issue link it would not work :( 

Sorry,

Scott.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

135 views 16 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you