Connect JIRA and Bamboos user management

MS July 12, 2013

Hi,

I have create a bamboo-admin group and add also users to this group. I have also create the application link in JIRA. But when I want to add the user repositority in bamboo I got stucked and bamboo tells me:

Failed to change the active user repository: Source '/usr/local/bamboo-data/xml-data/configuration/atlassian-user.xml' and destination '/usr/local/bamboo-data/xml-data/configuration/atlassian-user-custom.xml' are the same

what must I do?

1 answer

1 vote
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2014

Hi MS,

I would kindly ask you to follow the steps as per below:

Lets start by setting up JIRA

1. Start JIRA
  2. Log in using an account with administrator privilegies.
  3. Go to "User Management" >> "Groups"
    3.1 Add a new groupd called "bamboo-admin"
  4. Go to "User Management" >> "Users" >> "Operations" >> "Groups"
    4.1 Join in your currently user to "bamboo-admin" group.
  5. Go to "User Management" >> "JIRA User Server" >> "Add Application"
    5.1 Type in the "Application name" (e.g: bamboo)
    5.2 Type in a "Password"
    5.3 Type in the "IP Address" to your Bamboo instance (e.g: 192.168.10.23)
    5.4 Click on Save

Please remember the "Application name" and "Password" used as it will be needed in Bamboo to establish a link between them.

Lets move on to Bamboo.

As you have mentioned, you are not able to log in to your Bamboo instance. In order to grant access to the local user management (Bamboo), please follow the steps:

Open up <tt><bamboo-home>/xml-data/configuration/atlassian-user.xml</tt> and replace its content withONLY the following:

<atlassian-user>
    <repositories>
        <hibernate name="Hibernate Repository" key="hibernateRepository" description="Hibernate Repository" cache="true"/>
    </repositories>
</atlassian-user>

Start Bamboo and log in with your local admin.
If they don't know/remember the password, following the instructions on this page: Restoring passwords to recover admin users, ask them to reset your local Bamboo admin password by replacing the hash with:

{PKCS5S2}Bpkvn//DVjxjm/gSwKsLjDIt06e2Bfj9RHA5Z8mfMhMVGJkl9itnpzKST+BcHeFf

which is equal to "admin" and try to login with admin username and the password: "admin".

If you are able to successfully login now, please try to integrate with Crowd/JIRA again and let us know if the problem still persists.

Now that you have access to your Bamboo, lets finish up the communication between Bamboo and JIRA.

1. Start Bamboo
  2. Log in using an account with administrator privilegies.
  3. Go to "Bamboo administration" >> "Security" >> "User repository"
    3.1 Select "Users and groups from JIRA or Crowd"
    3.2 Type in your JIRA url into "Server URL" (e.g.:http://192.168.10.22:8080/<contextpath>)
    Please notice I am not using proxy to it. Instead, I am using the IP address from the server where my JIRA instance is running. Added to that is the port used by Tomcat to the JIRA instance.
    In case you are unsure about the port number, please refer to:
    <jira-install>/conf/server.xml
    (...)
    <Service name="Catalina">
            <Connector port="8080"
    (...)

In case you have a context path (path="") set to JIRA instance, please refer to:

<jira-install>/conf/server.xml
    (...)
    <Context path="" docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">
    (...) 
    In the context above, you can notice I am not using any path. Here is an example of context path (path="/jira") and you would access it as per http://192.168.10.22/8080/jira.
    3.3. Type in the application name you have set in JIRA into "Application name" (e.g.: bamboo)
    3.4. Click on "Change password?" and type in the password you have set for the application name into "Password"
    3.5. Click on "Save"
    3.6. Click on "Synchronize now"

Now you are able to log in to Bamboo using JIRA authentication.

Please refer to Integrating Bamboo with Crowd for further information.

--

Kind regards,

Rafael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events