'Completed' velocity has disappeared from Velocity charts after workflow change

motherg June 17, 2013

Hi all,

Got a weird one for you - I've recently changed the workflow some of our projects used (as a phased roll out).

It now has completely different statuses to what we used before and all seems to working well. Apart from one thing - the Velocity charts now have no 'Completed' count for any of the previous sprints (see below).

Any idea what's wrong here? All the issues that have been completed have the correct status (Done) and a resolution. The status of 'Done' is mapped to the last column in the rapidboard and I'm using a form of the simplified workflow so there is technically no 'end state' defined by steps in the workflow.

Greenhopper V6.2.2, JIRA V5.2

8 answers

1 vote
Vince Butera May 14, 2015

If you create a new board, the historic velocity will get populated based on the new work flow instead of the old.

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

I guess it won't work. The reason being, when GH looks at the history of the issue on the day of Sprint completion, the status of the issue was the old status.

Only when you changed the workflow, all of them changed to the new status as part of the workflow migration procedure, am I right? (you can also check this in the history tab of an issue)

motherg June 17, 2013
If that's the case then that surely is a pretty major bug? It basically prohibits you from being able to dramatically change the workflow if you want to keep the historic data? I'm going to need a way to rectify this in the short term. What do you suggest?
0 votes
Josh Polsky November 16, 2016

This is a pretty horrible bug. Hope it gets addressed at some point. You lose a lot of credibility with a new team migrating them to a better workflow only to lose all their history. 

0 votes
Cyrille Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2015

There is an issue reporting this behaviour : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11760 with a mitigation in it...

0 votes
Juan Boscardin January 23, 2015

Happened to us too. Apparently the "problem" could be that the REPORT view is not taking the new FINAL STATUS into consideration.

Context:

• You used to have a final status for your workflow that was "DONE".
  • You now have a final status for your workflow that is "CLOSED".
  • FINAL STATUS means that its where the issue is considered approved by the right person, nailed, finished, dead, obliterated, etc and nothing else needs to be done with it.  

So the velocity is gone because to Jira's eyes, because the points delivered (which happens when an issue gets to its final status) are not delivered anymore (they are not in the final status anymore (because you changed your workflow). So this leads me to think that the report view is reading the status from the DB every time you pull the velocity report (that's why it realized the is no longer in the old workflow status) but is not updating what is the final status for the current workflow, and therefore unable to see that this new status is still a final status and therefor the issue (and its points) were delivered in that sprint.

In a few words, the query seems to realize of the status change of the issue, but does not realize that this new status is also the final status of the current workflow (and so, the issue should still be considered delivered, and those points accomplished).

Solutions?
IF my diagnose is correct, I think the query in that page should be updated by Atlassian to take this into account.

0 votes
motherg June 17, 2013

As a side note - I have re-indexed as well.

0 votes
motherg June 17, 2013

As a side note - I have re-indexed as well.

Suggest an answer