Clone verus Link - when to use which?

Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013

Please explain when to clone an issue and when to link issues?

Thanks,

Lynn

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013
Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

So I did read those pages, but what is the business logic? If an issue is reported in ProjectA, but ProjectB in a different team will do the dev, but the issue will come back to Project A for testing, I think the issue should be linked to a new issue in ProjectB and then when dev is done, the ProjectA ticket will be moved to testing. Is that right?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

My recommendation would be that you do not manage the issue in different projects then. Give the necessary permissions to every member involved in the issue lifecycle to one project and manage the life cycle at one project using workflow states - Development, testing, release etc. This way you only have one copy of the issue , there is no confusion which issue relates to which. Imagine the confusion if you have 500 issues all duplicated into multiple projects and linked together

Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, but we setup Jira project per deparment that manages its own workflow.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

In that case, my suggestion would be to move issues between projects rather than linking them.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

When there are 2 separate work efforts, then I prefer the clone method with a separate workflow. And this is especially true if you do time tracking, do agile management, or have different code bases (perhaps a shared library). One issue to do the development effort development effort in project B and a second issue to do the acceptance testing or dependency updates of the change into project A.

0 votes
Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

Thank you.

Suggest an answer