Chromecast support for Wallboards

We have a Google Chromecast on our dev' TV which we use as a wallboard to show the status of our sprints from JIRA.

JIRA doesn't seem to have native support for chromecast so we are getting around it by using Chrome's ability to stream a browser window to the Chromecast but its not an ideal way to do it and it drops out.

Is anyone else doing something like this? 

Is there any native support for Chromecast planned? (apparently its not a big deal to add it to a webapp)

7 answers

1 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Mar 30, 2015

Is there any native support for Chromecast planned? (apparently its not a big deal to add it to a webapp)

I would assume no as you can just hook a random PC to the TV that has a browser auto rotating tabs and refreshing the tabs.

I'd rather have something a tenth of the power instead of a PC (it'd also be tricky too wire our screen neatly)

As I understand it, a chromecast is just a chrome browser running full-screen with a remotely supplied URL so should not be a complex development.

Timothy Chin Community Champion Apr 27, 2015

I don' think I will consider Chromecast a chrome browser. I have one :) What about a single board computers like raspberry pi? It can run a linux OS and a browser.

Please implement this. We use Chromecast for all our stats and stuff, so this would be a huge improvement. Its very simple to implement, maybe it can be an Add-On.

If JIRA can publish a public url (without log in I guess) you can use to publish content (a url) on your chromecast...

it's an opensource project by

Thanks Rick. I did look at greenscreen but jira seems to require a login. For another project previously I have looked at using a reverse proxy to provide the authentication details to the webserver and then re-present site without required authentication on our internal network to be consumed by the TVs internal browser (which also can't do authentication), but it seemed a little hack-y

If it helps, we started using the (Samsung) TV's internal browser, we are able to do this as JIRA's authentication is within the page rather than using the browsers mechanism.

To be fair to JIRA, the page (currently) looks as good as it would on a pc, but setting it up with a TV remote took some patience but that's a TV not a JIRA issue 

Come on Atlassian. We need public URLs to get your data into our organizations decision making processes on a daily basis. Do a hack day and implement secret public URLs for dashboards PLEASE.

I'm really interested in this possibility too

+1 it would be great

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

106 views 2 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot