Chart Macro - line vs xyline

What is the difference beween a "line" and an "xyline" chart in the Chart Macro?

When I use a table in the chart macro area line the one below, and then switch between "line" and "xyline" chart types, the chart does display differently, but I am not finding an explanation of what the difference is between them.

A 32 35 37 45 69 227 449 2328 5348 31474 80973
B 31 33

48 74 235 541 3265 7204 46676 92000
C 31 32 38 46 63 211 447 2239 5180 30096 62000

2 answers

1 accepted

The charts are different for me :). Suggest you test again.

• line chart is plotting a point for each column (no matter what value) and then connecting with a line
  • xyline chart is by x value with a linear x axis (x values from heading row must be numeric)

Line vs XYLine hcart

Nice - learned something! Cool Bob..

Thanks Bob, that explains it perfectly for me; it would be great the the documentation said this - can I file a doc jira to request that?

Before I noticed the graph differences, I chose the "line" chart over the "xyline" because it included the data points. It would be nice if the "xyline" chart also supported plotting the data points

Yes, always good to track these kind of things with an issue.

My guess is that they are the same and you are not crazy. ;)

Here's the full doc - maybe you already saw it.

Bob Swift will likely comment.

(Doh - wrong answer - Bob jumped in to clear the cloud - yay! :))

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Jason Wong
Published Tuesday in Agility Beta

Welcome to agility

Every team in the world is unique, and so   Atlassian believes   that each and every team's best way of working  needs to  be molded to their unique circumstances  – ...

454 views 7 16
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot