Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chart Macro - line vs xyline

Dan Jatnieks May 31, 2013

What is the difference beween a "line" and an "xyline" chart in the Chart Macro?

When I use a table in the chart macro area line the one below, and then switch between "line" and "xyline" chart types, the chart does display differently, but I am not finding an explanation of what the difference is between them.

<th>
A 32 35 37 45 69 227 449 2328 5348 31474 80973
B 31 33

48 74 235 541 3265 7204 46676 92000
C 31 32 38 46 63 211 447 2239 5180 30096 62000

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2013

The charts are different for me :). Suggest you test again.

• line chart is plotting a point for each column (no matter what value) and then connecting with a line
  • xyline chart is by x value with a linear x axis (x values from heading row must be numeric)

Line vs XYLine hcart

Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2013

Nice - learned something! Cool Bob..

Dan Jatnieks June 2, 2013

Thanks Bob, that explains it perfectly for me; it would be great the the documentation said this - can I file a doc jira to request that?

Before I noticed the graph differences, I chose the "line" chart over the "xyline" because it included the data points. It would be nice if the "xyline" chart also supported plotting the data points

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2013

Yes, always good to track these kind of things with an issue.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2013

My guess is that they are the same and you are not crazy. ;)

Here's the full doc - maybe you already saw it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Chart+Macro

Bob Swift will likely comment.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2013

(Doh - wrong answer - Bob jumped in to clear the cloud - yay! :))

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events