Changing story points to hours

Marisa Harwood January 15, 2018

We would like to estimate in hours rather than story points, but I don't know how to configure this in JIRA

2 answers

3 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2018

Hello,

Go to the board configuration then choose Estimation in the vertical menu. In the Estimation Statstic field choose Original Time Estimate

Shawn Griffin November 28, 2018

Works perfectly for issues that did not previously have any estimates associated with them.  However, I have issues in the backlog that have original time estimate value assigned to them that I want to switch to story points.  When I change the board configuration to story points the original time estimate is still preserved.  I want to over write those w/ story points, any idea if/how this can be done?

Like # people like this
Roberto Luis Rodriguez-Estevez August 17, 2020

Hi,

you may filter for those having an initial estimate, like this JQL:

originalEstimate is not Empty AND project = YourProject order by created DESC

And doing a bulk operation on your filter results.

I hope, this helps.

Aziz Khakulov November 11, 2022

@Roberto Luis Rodriguez-Estevez, I tried this but there is no way to bulk edit the Original Estimate field...

0 votes
Yousif Hassan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 15, 2024

For anyone looking at this recently - the answer is now under "features" in "project settings" for Team-managed projects. 
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.43.30 am.png

Suggest an answer