Change standard layout of sprint boards to match workflow scheme

Tarek H November 9, 2015

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring columns

How can I change the standard layout of my sprint boards to match the workflow scheme of my project?

Do I understand correctly, that at this point I have to manually add columns for every (except the standard three) status in my workflow every time I start a new sprint? This was already labelled a deal-breaker problem back when discussing "JIRA agile" in 2013. Is there a fix for this now? We definitely need a an option to automatically create a column for every workflow status of the project with every new sprint. This is such an every-day task I am shocked there seems no solution for this yet. 

Thanks for any advice or updates on this issue!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2015

Well, it's a nice-to-have, but this is the first time I've seen anyone see it as a serious problem.  JIRA Software creates projects for Scrum or Kanban with boards that match already, so there's no issue there, and one of the strong points of boards is that the user can set them up to view a workflow as suits them without having to bother an admin.

There's also the simplified workflow option which swaps the approach, letting the users define the workflow by creating and working with their own columns and status.

So, there's not much call for a function to make a board match a workflow - the users are probably going to change it later.  I'd suggest giving the users simplified workflows. 

However, one thing stands out to me - you say "create a column... with every new sprint".  That implies you're changing the workflow on every sprint, which sounds very broken to me.  Have I misunderstood?

Suggest an answer