Change Custom Field Type and Map Values

Constantin Scheuermann April 16, 2013

Hi there,

is it possible to add a new custom field and additionally map Values from a existing field to it? My Usecase is to Change a DropDown List to a Textfield. Additonally i want the values of the specific DropDownBox passed to the new TextField. After that i would like to delete the obsolete DropDown.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2013

Hi, if you are not using OnDemand, I would take a look at the Script Runner plugin. There is a built-in script to aid with copying custom field values. Very useful for field migrations.

Constantin Scheuermann April 17, 2013

Hi Harry, i installed the Plugin now, can you give me a hint how to handle this task? I have a DropDown field and want to convert it to a textfield. I will create a new scriptField? And how will i get the Values from the existing Field? Thanks a lot for your help

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2013

Not sure if script runner would copy from select list to text field as there's some changes on the schema of select list compared to text field in database since v4.4. You may want to try it out first.

Otherwise, you can change custom field type with this documentation. But the custom field value(customfieldvalue table) of select list actually referring to the option id in customfieldoption table. You may need to constructed a sql queries to update the correct values though. After modification, reindex would be required.

Either way you would need to perform such task in a test instance to ensure it works and not breaking any things in JIRA.

Suggest an answer