Ceate a task and subtasks cross multiple projects

When I used  JIRA, I want to ceate a task in project a, this project will have four sub tasks, but the 
four tasks will belong three projects. task 1 and task 2 belong to project a, task 3 belong to project b,
task 4 belong to project c. I try to create this type task in JIRA, but failed.
How can I create this type task in JIRA?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

It's not very easy to undestand what are you trying to do. Please clarify the question.

You can not create sub-task of an issue in a different project. If you want a relation of issues between project user issue linking

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Linking+Issues

Do you really need different projects for that? What about using different issue types for different tasks and also different Project Components ?

first, I have several projects in JIRA, I want to create a main task and this task has several sub task, these sub tasks belong to different project. Because I am doing a web project and I desigin a new business function. This function will be divided into diferent child functions, one is belong to web page designer, one is belong code programer. The designer and programer didn't stay in same project, so I need to create this type task.

There is no way you can do this, as Boris first said.

An issue belongs to a single project. Sub-tasks have a single parent issue and hence have to be in the same project as their parent.

Links are there for representing cross-project relationships.

You either need to move your users into the same project, or use links to say "issue X is related to issue Y in the other project". I'd strongly recommend the first option, and use the fields to separate the data out.

There is a good logic behind this design - in a system that represents clear streams of work or distinct teams as "projects", having cross-project sub-tasks rapidly makes a complete mess that us humans simply can't unpick. I've seen it tried in a couple of places, and it's never worked - the projects end up messy, delayed and gridlocked, with managers screaming that they can't see what is going on and the developers unable to see what should be happening. Think it through as well - what happens if you have two projects with different permissions? You've suddenly got an issue that could have subtasks in the other project that a user can't even see...

Thanks Nic and Boris your explanation.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 3 hours ago in Statuspage

What are your best incident management tips and stories? #HugOps

👋Community members! Downtime happens. And great incident response takes a village. Teams like Support, Dev, SRE, Ops, IT, and Marketing have to come together to resolve the problem while keep...

19 views 0 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you