Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot upgrade from confluence 2.7.4 to 3.5.17

Jess Johns December 3, 2012

On a test server I have been trying to upgrade confluence from our current production version (2.6.3) to the current version. I successfully upgraded to 2.7.4 but when I try to upgrade to 3.5.17 I get:

2012-12-04 09:17:29 (EventLevel: error) (EventType: upgrade) Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state. Then retry the upgrade.

The log file has the following:

2012-12-03 15:50:21,677 ERROR main apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase doLoad IOException while loading persisted sessio

ns: java.io.InvalidClassException: com.atlassian.user.impl.DefaultUser; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVer

sionUID = 5446367461173827654, local class serialVersionUID = -4812692384151363809

java.io.InvalidClassException: com.atlassian.user.impl.DefaultUser; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersion

UID = 5446367461173827654, local class serialVersionUID = -4812692384151363809

I tried searching the KB but the link that I found lead back to the search page. Should I be using a different release to do the upgrade? I'm really new to confluence and am still learning the ropes, so please forgive my ignorance.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jess Johns December 10, 2012

Turns out you need to upgrade from 2.7.4 to 3.0 before upgrading to 3.5, contrary to what the documentation says... I haven't tried upgrading to 3.5 yet but the upgrade to 3.0 worked fine. Someone really should fix this documentation.

0 votes
Jess Johns December 10, 2012

Turns out you need to upgrade from 2.7.4 to 3.0 before upgrading to 3.5, contrary to what the documentation says... I haven't tried upgrading to 3.5 yet but the upgrade to 3.0 worked fine. Someone really should fix this documentation.

0 votes
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

Hello Jessica,

Actually is not possible to upgrade and load in the data tables after. If you're still having problems with your upgrade I would suggest you to raise a support ticket at our support.atlassian.com and attach the log files from your last attempt and so we will be able to perform a better investigation to find the root cause of the problem and help you with your upgrade.

Cheers,

LJ.

0 votes
Paul Tempera December 4, 2012

Hello Jessica,

You may have the same issue I had. Bad data in your tables.

Here is one link that helped.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/60408/confluence-upgrade-3-2-1_01-to-3-5-problem-with-database?sort=votes

and this one.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Upgrade+or+XML+Backup+Fails+Due+to+Constraint+Violation

For the page above. I didn't use

delete from content_label where contentid = XXXX;

I needed to run

delete from BODYCONTENT where CONTENTID = <id>

and

delete from CONTENT where PREVVER not in (select CONTENTID from CONTENT);

Thanks,

Jess Johns December 9, 2012

Is it possible to do the upgrade and load in the data tables after? I have a dump of the tables sitting on the server I'm using for testing.

Also, what leads you to believe this might be the issue.. I'm not finding anything about schema updates in the latest log file

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

I believe that would useful to provide your confluence log or create a support ticket to better investigate, so first check if you have upgraded Confluence according to this doc:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events