Cannot login to JIRA

Sagi February 10, 2013

I've installed a fresh instance of JIRA with an external database (Microsoft SQL).

I've created an administrator user, but, when the setup steps complete and I reach the Login screen, I fail to login.

I'm using the exact same user & password configured just a minute earlier, why is that? Could it have something to do with the SQL server?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2013

Difficult to tell. What does the log say?

Sagi February 10, 2013

I'm new to JIRA, where can I see the log?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2013

There should be a "log" or "logs" directory under the location you installed it in. Look for catalina.out or atlassian-jira.log initially.

Sagi February 10, 2013

Found it, thanks.

It doesn't say much to me:

Feb 11, 2013 4:16:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer;;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\iis express\PHP\v5.4;C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.4;C:\Program Files\WinRAR;;.
Feb 11, 2013 4:16:31 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
INFO: Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]
Feb 11, 2013 4:16:31 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 1099 ms
Feb 11, 2013 4:16:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService startInternal
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Feb 11, 2013 4:16:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine startInternal
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.29
Feb 11, 2013 4:18:07 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]
Feb 11, 2013 4:18:07 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 95333 ms
Feb 11, 2013 4:18:08 PM org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache tldScanJar
INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2013

That's good and bad - looks like a good clean start up of a healthy Jira, but bad because it doesn't give us any leads on what might be wrong.

I'd expect database related errors in there if there is a database problem. I'd expect to see stuff about other components if it were something else. I'm afraid it might be as simple as you didn't get your username/password correct at all, although there's a chance something else might have gone wrong and corrupted it.

As a next step, I'd look directly into the database to see the user accounts. Maybe consider setting the admin salted and hashed password to "sphere" as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

However, you have said it's a new installation, so it might be easiest to stop Jira, drop all the database tables, then start Jira again - that will rerun the setup from clean.

Sagi February 10, 2013

Thanks Nic, I'll give it a go.

Suggest an answer