Cannot close a sprint in Greenhopper: Project admin required for another project

Mick Flanigan April 2, 2013

We have a sprint which cannot be closed. The error messages says I must be a project admin in the project the sprint is in, and another project. I assumed this was because of issue links, and went back and removed, however it will still not allow the sprint to be closed unless I add myself as admin on the other project. This is not the right procedure. What items could be contaminating my sprint from another project that would block me from completing it in this way? Is there a bug in the system because issue links or other items outside the sprint project are influencing the ability to close the sprint?

Error

To update this sprint you must have Project Administrator permissions for all of the following projects: Project A and Project B

BTW this is for JIRA version 5.2.7 and Greenhopper 6.1.2

We did not have this issue until this latest sprint, and we recently did an upgrade from 5.1.1 JIRA and 6.0.x GH. We are not sure this casued the issue, or if some use case of Greenhopper and JIRA changed with the team, but somethign from Project B is blocking us closing the sprint in Project A, and issue links have been cleared. Still something blocking.

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2013

Hi Mick,

It seem the problem that you encounter was related to file corrupted happen in JIRA instance, please try the following steps to rebuild the file again:

1. Shutdown JIRA instance
  2. Delete the contents of JIRA Installation Directory\work directory
  3. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\changes directory
  4. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\comments directory
  5. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\entities directory
  6. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\issues directory
  7. Remove the content of the following directory:
    • <JIRA Home Directory>/plugins/.bundled-plugins
    • <JIRA Home Directory>/plugins/.osgi-plugins
  8. Restart JIRA instance.
  9. Perform re-indexing.
  10. Perform the integrity checker and fix any inconsistent data.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

John Chin

Mick Flanigan April 7, 2013

Thanks John we will test this and report back in the next 24 hours.

Mick Flanigan April 15, 2013

This appears to have resolved our issues, sprints can be started and stopped properly now with your instructions John. Thanks!

Dominik September 15, 2013

We are having the same problem, but deleting the indexes etc did not help.

MarkW October 8, 2013

I just had this exact issue reported.

Will a background index suffice or do I really need to completely rebuild the index and delete the plugin cache?

If I have to do a complete rebuild, I will likely have to wait until a maitnenance window as we have a large instance and indexing will take some time.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

"It seem the problem that you encounter was related to file corrupted happen in JIRA instance"

What triggers it? Is this a known issue? Any workarounds or will it be fixed in future versions?

John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2014

For your information, the problem only happen in Greenhopper pior v6.1.2. If you see and get the same problem in the latest version, please raise an issue to our https://support.atlassian.comchannel.

0 votes
PedroA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013
0 votes
MarkW October 9, 2013

Here is an additional answer that resolved my problem. While all the issues were from a single project the users board filter was set to only look for the fix version. Adding in a filter for the project allowed the user to mark the sprint complete.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

Yes, I always make sure that the board filter has some projects named in it, otherwise people have to be project admins for all JIRA projects to be able to create sprints etc

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

This can also happen if an issue is moved from one project to another where the board owners don't have permission to edit the issue I think

MarkW October 8, 2013

Great suggestion Matt. I had just checked this but the issue history does not show them as being moved.

To test, I created a test user and assigned it as an administrator to the project but the user still could not complete sprint. I added a group this user was in to the Administrator role but with no luck. Interestingly enough, when I added the user to the jira-administrators group they could complete the sprint. Unfortunately, I cannot do that for the real user that is experiencing the problem.

0 votes
Mick Flanigan April 7, 2013

Hi Natalie,

I checked and all looks good. Filter against Rapid Board is setup to pull from Project A, no reference to Project B here. Good question though and made me go double check that!

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Just curious - does the filter associated with the board have both those projects in it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events