Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add group member to confluence user group, using active directory at the same time

René Herrmann June 27, 2012

I have got a confluence 3.5 setup with the following directories enabled:

• Confluence Internal Directory
  • Active Directory server (Read Only)

My assumption was, that I could manage confluence-only groups on the confluence system for certain editor-management (not company organisation relevant groups). I am able to create new confluence groups but get the following error if I try to add members to it:

Could not add user 'john.doe' as a member of group 'management-editor'. Check your server logs for more information.

2012-06-28 09:10:51,922 ERROR [http-8443-5] [bucket.user.DefaultUserAccessor] addMembership Failed to add 'john.doe' as a member of 'management-editor'
 -- referer: https://testpagexy.com/admin/users/domembersofgroupsearch.action?membersOfGroupTerm=management-editor | url: /admin/users/adduserstogroup.action | userName: john.doe | action: adduserstogroup
com.atlassian.user.EntityException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationNotPermittedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Group 'management-editor' does not exist in the directory of the user and cannot be added.
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.atlassianuser.EmbeddedCrowdGroupManager.addMembership(EmbeddedCrowdGroupManager.java:169)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.springfra...

Question: According to the exception message: why does the group has to exist already in the directory of the user?

Thank you very much for any hint.

René

Appendix 26.6.12: Screenshot of the directory order screen:

5 answers

0 votes
Lionel CONFORTO September 25, 2013

Hi, I had the same expectation : being able to add LDAP users to local groups. And I had the same problem. I found a note that was useful and helped me solve the problem:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Unable+to+Add+Users+into+a+Group+Due+to+Lack+of+Permission

The note mentions 2 queries : in my case, I just applied query #1, I restarted the server and it was enough.

Please make sure to test in a development platform first,

Best regards, Lionel

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2012

Yes, I have the same issue. Any ideas? It's not a big deal, as we can just use the existing AD groups, but I would like to know if it is possible and how you can have multiple directories working together.

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2012

Yes, I have the same issue. Any ideas? It's not a big deal, as we can just use the existing AD groups, but I would like to know if it is possible and how you can have multiple directories working together.

0 votes
René Herrmann June 27, 2012

Thank you for your answer @oilspace sysadmin. It seems that the directory order is already setup like you are suggesting. Any other idea?

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2012

Looks like "Active Directory server (Read Only)" is first user directory in your directory list

Confluence write changes you want to do into first directory listed and fails due to read-only status of userdirectory

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events