Can you turn the Atlassian/Confluence Markup off and Markdown On?

Peter Luttrell May 15, 2017

I despise the Atlassian/Confluence Markup and the way the Confluence and JIRA editors handle it. 

Is there a way to completely disable it and use Markdown instead?

If you want to reference code in markdown it takes <2 seconds to add the ` char around it. But in Atlassian/Confluence Markup it's an absolute pain every time. Using the `Preformatted` works horribly because the editor forces you to a new line.

The `Import Markup` and then pasting in Markdown works, but it's a one-time thing. So I've started keeping my documentation in a GIT repo in Markdown format and every time I want to change it I use a real Markdown editor and paste it in. And when others update Confluence, I have to manually merge their changes. Not cool.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2017

If you want to just use Markdown, why not use one of the plugins that renders Markdown in Confluence? There are some free options:

Server:

Markdown Macro for Confluence

Cloud:

Render Markdown

Note that you won't be able to embed Confluence macros inside, so you'd have to break your markdown in pieces (i.e. insert multiple macros as such: Markdown macro, Confluence Macro, another Markdown macro for the rest of your text, etc.).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events