Can you link to an MS Office or PDF doc and have it display in the same Confluence page?

Using Confluence 4.2.12: I want to create a Confluence wiki page that has a left pane of links to MS Word or PDF documents. When I click any link, I want the document to display in the right pane of the existing Confluence page (rather than launch a new window to view the document). Is this possible or is there another mechanism in Confluence I can use to accomplish the desired user experience? Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

Maybe try SharpView (for high res PDFs) and build a hierarchy of these documents with the Documentation theme applied in the space?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.appfusions.confluence.sharpview.sharp-view

(To build / adjust the hierarchy of the docs (pages), in the space, go to Browse > Pages > Tree - and you can move the pages around in the tree)

==

For Office documents (and PDFs too), you could do something similar with your documents stored in Box, Google Docs, Dropbox, Alfresco with AppFusions DMS plugins, where you can embed the document in the Confluence page.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ellen. Will give the Documentation theme a try!

Hi, you can use the documentation theme to create a set of "links" to pages in Confluence in a hierarchy. To show your word or pdf document you can embed them in those linked Confluence pages and they will show up when clicked.

Thanks, Harry. I'll try this approach and see how the user experience works out....

Can I apply the Documentation theme to selective wiki pages, or must it be applied to the entire space? I'd prefer the former if possible...

0 votes
David Simpson Community Champion Sep 05, 2012
Where are you storing the docs? As attachments to the page? Or elsewhere?

David, I'm currently storing the documents as attachments to the wiki page. Is that a recommended approach?

As suggested, I've created a hierarchy of wiki pages with my embedded documents in them, then linked to these pages from my primary page. From a user experience standpoint, it's acceptable even though they are technically navigating to a different 'page'. I ended up making the header/look and feel the same for all pages. Thanks everyone for your input! :-)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in United States

Topic Tuesday: What's your favorite topic?

Good morning All, Our goal is to get you into the habit of while enjoying your favorite morning drink you are checking the NOVA "space" for topics and comments. Your input is really needed and...

57 views 4 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you