Can you link to an MS Office or PDF doc and have it display in the same Confluence page?

Ken Hymes September 4, 2012

Using Confluence 4.2.12: I want to create a Confluence wiki page that has a left pane of links to MS Word or PDF documents. When I click any link, I want the document to display in the right pane of the existing Confluence page (rather than launch a new window to view the document). Is this possible or is there another mechanism in Confluence I can use to accomplish the desired user experience? Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Maybe try SharpView (for high res PDFs) and build a hierarchy of these documents with the Documentation theme applied in the space?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.appfusions.confluence.sharpview.sharp-view

(To build / adjust the hierarchy of the docs (pages), in the space, go to Browse > Pages > Tree - and you can move the pages around in the tree)

==

For Office documents (and PDFs too), you could do something similar with your documents stored in Box, Google Docs, Dropbox, Alfresco with AppFusions DMS plugins, where you can embed the document in the Confluence page.

Ken Hymes September 5, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, Ellen. Will give the Documentation theme a try!

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Hi, you can use the documentation theme to create a set of "links" to pages in Confluence in a hierarchy. To show your word or pdf document you can embed them in those linked Confluence pages and they will show up when clicked.

Thanks, Harry. I'll try this approach and see how the user experience works out....

Can I apply the Documentation theme to selective wiki pages, or must it be applied to the entire space? I'd prefer the former if possible...

0 votes

As suggested, I've created a hierarchy of wiki pages with my embedded documents in them, then linked to these pages from my primary page. From a user experience standpoint, it's acceptable even though they are technically navigating to a different 'page'. I ended up making the header/look and feel the same for all pages. Thanks everyone for your input! :-)

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 5, 2012
Where are you storing the docs? As attachments to the page? Or elsewhere?

David, I'm currently storing the documents as attachments to the wiki page. Is that a recommended approach?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events