Can you add images and/or files to Comment in JIRA?

Adriaan Walpot September 3, 2012

Can you add images and/or files to Comments?

For example, in Flyspray you can do this.

It just makes sense: you add a comment and attach a screenshot relevant to that comment. I want to do this in JIRA as well.

7 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
John Dyer August 28, 2013

If I add an attachment to a ticket, and use the comment field when attaching that file, then JIRA should automagically link the comment to the attachment. The fact that the attachment and comment are totally disconnected in the UI, unless I used wiki markup and manually link them, is in my opinion a defect in JIRA and should be resolved ( JRA-21394 )

Greg October 20, 2015

The markup that you can use to display the image (after you have attached the image file to the Jira issue) inline in your comment is explained athttps://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspasection=images

Like # people like this
Gennadiy November 16, 2016

It doesn't work in 4.3.4 and v7.1 :(((

In both I got URL between two '!' like that:

Create SQL File !http://upjira.ibm.com:8080/secure/attachment/29450/1.png! 

Josh Koenig November 29, 2016

Same as above. sad

Andrew Knieriem February 27, 2017

I found that if you have attachments enabled that you can simply copy-paste an image into the description and it will automatically upload and link for you. 

Like # people like this
15 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2012

You can embed images inline in JIRA comments using wiki markup. Just attach the image to the issue, and write !ImageFilename.png! in your comment. (replacing ImageFilename with the filename of your image).

If you don't have wiki markup enabled for comments, here are the docs for switching the field from Text Renderer to Wiki Markup Renderer - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Renderers .

Thanks, that can work indeed.

The current way the comment box is designed looks and works great because of its elegancy and simplicity.

A typical Timy MCE bar on top of the comment 'feel' like slowing things down, taking a bit away from the speed of commenting.

You know what would be great, however?

That is if, in the comment field, at the same place of the Pencil on the top right of that field (but only in edit mode, so when the pencil is away), there would be another button you can press that would pop-up the same bar you get when you type a comment in this very comment field on answers.atlassian.com (just bold/italic, bullet, do/undo, link, insert image and code buttons)

Like Reshanthi Pillay likes this
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2012

Great idea! Out of curiosity, did you notice the question-mark icon underneath the wiki markup field (next to the preview button) that shows all the wiki markup syntax available? If not, any suggestions on how we could have made it clearer?

I actually noticed the question-mark icon and clicked on it once or more.

Now this is the deal: my role is one as the founder of a start-up, but actually I am not a programmer. I like to invest every effort necessary to make sure everyone in the team (back-end and front-end programmers, designer) have all the details and structure that they need to create an awesome product.

That is why I am so happy with our decision to move to JIRA.

Now I am happy to jump into code regularly, whenever that is useful. But when I type comments about our product development (in JIRA), I want to be 100% focused on the content of the comment. It is unique time that is fully dedicated before I move on to another 'start-up task'. Time I would spend on checking and typing mark-ups is time I cannot spend on talking to investors, marketing, team, logistics, legal, PR, whatever.

For example, even having to type "-" and "space" to get a bullet point is something that I consider a waste of time, and especially of focus (it's a distraction, especially if the bullet list contains more than 2 bullets).

So my request comes from the point of view of the role of a founder.

13 votes
Gabi Pavel August 22, 2013

It would be nice to have the ability to paste from clipboard the image and to get it attached and refrenced with the wiki markup, rather than having to manually attach it and then refrence it. Especially when doing printscreens this would save a lot of time (you no longer have to paste the printscreen and create it as a file locally, no longer has to attach it in jira and then refrence it with ! markup)

Scott F. Robinson September 17, 2019

Yes, it would save a great deal of time if JIRA interface were rich text and could paste content containing images (e.g. email content containing screen shots of errors) directly into Description and Comment fields.

Like Ben Brandt likes this
6 votes
kimberly anderson November 10, 2013

Would be very nice to have a rich text editor in JIRA comments with the ability to add photos... this would really improve communication on the JIRA issue.

Dan Pidcock July 14, 2014

Yes it's very inconsistent how confluence and answers have this but jira seems to be missing it.

mknig October 18, 2015

think the same...any progress?

Rolland Vandersluis January 10, 2017

Agreed! In my company's workflow, we have to link to the JIRA item (description) to the relevant Confluence page to get decent rich text content. Make documenting ideas and problems cumbersome! 

Scott F. Robinson September 17, 2019

Atlassian - Any response?

John K. April 22, 2020

I am definitely interested in that solution as well! Look forward to an update from Atlassian on the graphics issue! 

0 votes
Tharak ram November 9, 2018
It is lovely to have the capacity to stick from clipboard the image and to get it joined and refrenced with the wiki markup, rather than having to physically interface it and after that refrence it. Especially while doing printscreens this would save a huge amount of time (you never again need to stick the printscreen and make it as a record locally, never again needs to associate it in jira and subsequently refrence it with ! markuphttp://media3training.com/home/
0 votes
Tharak ram October 23, 2018

I found that on the off chance that you have connections empowered that you can just duplicate glue a picture into the depiction and it will consequently transfer and connection for you.http://roshanlalevents.com/

0 votes
Tharak ram October 16, 2018

It is pleasant to be able to glue from clipboard the picture and to get it joined and refrenced with the wiki markup, as opposed to having to physically connect it and after that refrence it. Particularly while doing printscreens this would spare a ton of time (you never again need to glue the printscreen and make it as a record locally, never again needs to connect it in jira and afterward refrence it with ! markup)http://www.ambrainv.com

Suggest an answer