Can we customize the columns that show in the Greenhopper Backlog Planning screen?

Michael Burns September 17, 2012

We want to show component as a column in the planning backlog, is this possible to configure?

11 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2012

Hi Michael,

You might want to consider adding components to swimlanes in your rapid board instead of adding them as columns. Adding components as swimlanes will allow you to group them and track their movement through the workflow.

To add your components as swimlanes you'll need to customize your rapid board as following:

1. Click "Tools" on the rapid board you'd like to configure

2. Select "Configure" from the drop down

3. Click the "Swimlanes" tab (located in the middle)

4. Base Swimlanes on "Queries" (select from the dropdown)

5. Name your query

6. JQL = component in ('[desired component name]')

7. Select 'Add'

Repeat for all components you'd like to add as swimlanes to your rapid board.

Michael Burns September 18, 2012

Thanks for the info... the reason we need it as a column on the planning board is to see components while we are prioritizing the backlog.

Cristian Santayana August 15, 2013

Hello Alexandra but that workaround doesn't really work. This would mean I have to create Swimlanes for all the different components for each project. This would take take too long and would be error prone.

What we would need is to simply display Component (or any other property) and be able to see it in the planning mode so we can decide what to put in each sprint.

Like that I can assure to have a good mix of work for the different parts of my teams.

Thanks

P.S This was possible with the classic view

1 vote
Emanuele Forlano July 14, 2015

I was looking for the same customisation and I found this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Customising+Cards

You can add fields to the cards showed in the backlog screen

matejkriz August 10, 2015

This works for me. Thank you.

0 votes
Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2015

That is probably tracked by https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9554

Kind regards,
Martin
JIRA Agile

0 votes
dvdgee June 24, 2015

@Martin Jopson that unfortunately doesn't solve the problem. What would be useful is the ability to have a column in the backlog planner for components so that we can filter the list by component, in the same way we can filter by version or epic. Not being able to do this leads to people using Epics in place of components, which works fairly well but doesn't sync up well with QA needs.

0 votes
Martin
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2013

Please see the recently updated status from the GreenHopper Product Owner at: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3922

0 votes
Cristian Santayana August 15, 2013

Hello Alexandra but that workaround doesn't really work. This would mean I have to create Swimlanes for all the different components for each project. This would take take too long and would be error prone.

What we would need is to simply diplay Component (or any other property) and be able to see it in the planning mode so we can decide what to put in each sprint.

Like that I can assure to have a good mix of work for the different parts of my teams.

Thanks

P.S This was possible with the classic view

0 votes
Jason Catena August 5, 2013

We'd like to see Votes while we plan the backlog. I wouldn't think to use a swimlane for each vote count.

0 votes
Curt Doolittle July 31, 2013

We need this feature for planning too. I'd like to work withthe column sequence: Version, Component, Epic, Backlog, Sprint. Depending upon the type of project you're developing, and its complexity, and the kind of customer you have, feature/component based views of work are just as important as story based views of work. (product marketing vs internal client vs external client for example). Complex components (versus, say, web sites) require fairly large learning curves, and high testing costs. So, there is a trade off between favored features by the complexity that they require from different components. Some features touch ten, some features touch one. And the difficulty comes from the number of components we have to touch. (I hope this makes sense). Right now I have to keep a sort of master list in Excel when planning, then use Greenhopper only for assignments, and it's a nightmare. - Thanks.

0 votes
Hope Foster-Reyes December 10, 2012

We would like to see this capability as well. I'm going to look into the swimlanes capability, but it would really help to see the component name, for example to the right of the epic name on the Rapid Board planning page, i.e.

Issue Type, Issue Priority, Issue Summary (Story), Epic Name, Component, Estimate

Perhaps there should be an option in the Green Hopper configuration to either add columns to this display and to the filters, or at least to turn "on" or "off" working with components, which are at least for us a pretty vital high level way of organizing issues.

It hurts my brain to look at all those issues and have no way of scanning them visually, and it doesn't make sense to me to use epics for components when components already exist in the object model.

(Sorry I'm not sure if I should be posting all this here but I can't seem to find a place to add feature requests...)

0 votes
Michael Burns September 18, 2012

We are using RapidBoards, based on the Scrum template, but I'm willing to change to another template or option if that's what is needed. Thanks!

0 votes
Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2012

Can you please clarify if you are using Classic Board or Rapid Board?

Suggest an answer