Can the "Component" label be changed?

We'd like to rename 'Components' to something else. Is it possible to do that?

I'm not talking about editing individual component names, I know we can do that.

Thanks!

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
System fields can be renamed with new InProduct Translation plugin

You can do this by customizing the text : https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Customizing+Text

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if a change like this can be localized to a particular project or projects? Or is it a global change?

It's global.

You can actually create a new language pack, which allows you to get the users to choose between it (e.g. Developers use English, and the "risk assessment team" use English-Risks), but you can't do it on a project basis. That's because a lot of the language is displayed *outside* a project context, so the system has no way of knowing which words it should be using.

It will be a global change. You might want to write some javascripts if you want to change this only in some projects! Modifying the velocity templates for the component system field is another option, if you prefer that! Javascripts will be easier.

Thank you! I like the javascript idea. Do you have any links on where to start doing this kind of thing?

I don't have one I am afraid, but you will find some Javascript examples here itself. It is built on Jquery

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/19558/how-can-i-get-the-value-of-assignee-using-ajs is an example

If you want to change the Component field only in some projects you could create your own fieldconfiguration for these projects. Then you could use some javascript in the description of the field in the field configuration to overwrite the label Component.

Does anyone know how to do this on the latest versions?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Statuspage

What are your best incident management tips and stories? #HugOps

👋Community members! Downtime happens. And great incident response takes a village. Teams like Support, Dev, SRE, Ops, IT, and Marketing have to come together to resolve the problem while keep...

73 views 2 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you