Can't use / in file name

Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

It is easy to work around /'s by using -'s with dates etc however when working with fractions it is very frustrating not being able to use the / symbol in a file name. Many of my users files are already named with a / because it is accepted by windows. When they upload the file they think it's fine and forget it, months later another user thinks it's broken when it just needs to be renamed.

Big pain!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

Turns out the user was uploading file and then changing the filename to include symbols that aren't accepted by most OS's. Put in a request to Atlassian to at least give a warning if not just the ability to restrict this behavior.

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

Hi Ethan,

Which product this question applies to? I'm not sure but I believe this is more a JAVA issue than a JIRA or Confluence issue.

Hence, if this is a JIRA question, in newer JIRA versions the attachments are no longer kept as the whole filename in the attachments folder, and instead of it, JIRA change its names to the attachment ID only. This way you shall be able to download the files even if they has /, ", '', ç etc.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events