Can't see next workflow step

Nathan Parker November 1, 2012

Hi There,

I have put conditions on the transitions so that only the "Reporter" and the "Assignee" can execute a transition.

When I assign the issue to someone else midway through the workflow the next step button does not appear so it cannot be moved on.

Is the condition set for only the original assignee? When I take off the conditions it will work fine but anyone can move it through the workflow which is what I am trying to aviod.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

No, the condition "assignee" means the current assignee. The person currently named in the assignee field.

You don't really say quite what you're trying to achieve here - if the sentence above doesn't help you enough, could you explain what you are aiming for.

Hi Nic,

I have created a custom workflow that involves multiple people needing it to be assigned to at various stages throughout the life cycle. We are tracking MD050's from their initial creation stage all the way through to their deployment in production. It is a very large and detailed workflow.

When I assign a stage to someone for their input they are not able to see the next step in the workflow to push it onto the next person. It is not visible at all. As mentioned I put on conditions so that only the reporter (me) and assignee can execute a transition but that did not seem to work. Once I remove the transitions the button is then visible.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

I don't quite understand where the problem is. You have added conditions that say "current assignee" and "reporter" can perform the transition, and it's not letting other people do it. That sounds right to me.

Could you check what the assignee is seeing - the screenshot you gave is only really part of what we need to see - could you extend it up and right, so that it includes the "assignee" field and the header bar to show who you are logged in as? (As well as the workflow transition/actions bar you included)

Also to mention that I (reporter) am able to see the next steps but the assignee cannot. I also have admin access so not sure if that makes a difference.

Hi Nic,

I have a couple screenshots showing the condition I have set and then screenshot of the button not appearing. It seems now that even I cannot see the next transition even though I have the condition set for "reporter" to be able to execute this. I was the reporter as you can see.

Thanks

Hi Nic,

I have a couple screenshots showing the condition I have set and then screenshot of the button not appearing. It seems now that even I cannot see the next transition even though I have the condition set for "reporter" to be able to execute this. I was the reporter as you can see.

Also I was assigning the issue to people so therefore they would be become the assignee but they could not see the next workflow step in order to progress. Based on my understanding of the conditions I set it is not working properly.

Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

You configured condition as Assignee and reporter so the user should be both if you want to work it make condition as OR insted of AND i.e assignee or reporter can execute transition

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2012

Ah, that is exactly it - your condition is an AND, and you probably want OR.

Well spotted Rambanam

Nathan Parker November 4, 2012

Thanks guys, that did the trick.

Manish Jain May 17, 2016

Hi Nic,

I have same problem. I added only one condition "Only the assignee of the issue can execute this transition" but still current assignee is not able to see this button.

I tried to assign same task to me as Current assignee and getting error "Issue already assigned to my user detail".

Thanks in advance.

From

Manishscreenshot1.PNGscreenshot2.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2016

I can't see from that which transition is "missing", because we can't see the current status, whether you have "can transition issues" permission in that project, or what the conditions on the transition are. 

In the flow diagram, could you tell us which arrow is missing, then what conditions are on it.  (And check your permission scheme for "transition issue")

0 votes

Thanks guys, that did the trick.

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

This is an area where I found the Conditions Validator plugin to be really useful. Many is the time that I have seen the problem described above "user x cannot see transition y" and the conditions validator tab reveals the reason.

The plugin "went commercial" recently but is pretty darn cheap.

Thanks Mark, I'll check it out.

Suggest an answer