Can I use form data (POST) from my website for creating a new ticket?

Dan May 2, 2017

Can I have a form from my website send post data to Jira to create a ticket?

If not, can I specifically generate data in an email that can be picked up by the Jira system to create a ticket?  I have "Email Requests" turned on and I've successfully created tickets but I'd like to be able to capture somewhere the requester's email address in the new ticket so that the Jira system can send an email to them confirming the ticket has been created (even though it was generated from our website).

(Also, side question...is there somewhere that lists the syntax needed for creating Triage Automation Rules? ... the example given states: "summary ~ account AND request-channel-type = email" but gives no inidcation of what "Summary ~ Account" is technically filtering.?)

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

The new forum system we've got here has lead to a lot of us simply not seeing posts.  I've only just caught this one, so I'll give it a shot:

Yes, form data should be quite easy to send over.  I'd translate it into your desired JIRA data, then output it as JSON and post it over the REST interface into JIRA.

The email handlers that are built into JIRA are quite basic, and won't capture the email address separately.  You could enable "create new user", which would catch it indirectly, and enable a response back to them.  That is based on plain JIRA though, if you're looking at JIRA Service Desk, the setup is different (Although they could still be come customers)

I've not seen the docs for the triage automation rules, could you point us to what you're reading?  "Summary ~ account" should be trying to catch things like "please upgrade my account" or "I need a new account"

Dan June 1, 2017

Thank you Nic for the response - I do very much appreciate your help.

In response to your qeustion about triage automation rules: my apologies, I definitely should have included this in the original question.  Here's the KB article I read:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/blog/2016/01/automatically-triage-email-requests

My client decided to go with a different system so please don't spend more time on the question just for me.  However, I think your answer will definitely help others as what you've described is exactly what I determined through trial/error.

Thanks again!

0 votes
Dan May 26, 2017

Ok, obviously not buying the Jira system if no one can help.

Suggest an answer