Can I prevent all other users from assigning tickets to "Unassigned" except for the Admin?

Adam Grace March 15, 2012

As the question explains, I have an admin that has access to a certain transition. This leads to a status that auto-unassignes a ticket. I don't want everyone to be able to set the assignee to unassigned. is this possible?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2012

As you said, allows 'UnAssigned' is a global change. It is best to take some Javascript route which will take away the 'UnAssigned' option from the dropdown. You won't be able handle this in the workflows or by configuration.

Adam Grace March 18, 2012

I see. Ok then, thanks for your help!

0 votes
Regina Stolerman April 10, 2012

Thanks. I posted it as a separate question.

0 votes

I really need to do this change but have very little admin knowledge of it. Please let me know what need to be changed so that the "Unassigned" is excluded from the Assign list for a given Project. Thanks in advance!

0 votes

Hi Jobin,

I really need to do this change but have very little admin knowledge of it. Please let me know what need to be changed so that the "Unassigned" is excluded from the Assign list for a given Project. Thanks in advance!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2012

@regina-stolerman It is not just admin work, you need to write some Javascript to do this. I don't have the script written but hopefully someone who already did this can help you.

0 votes
Adam Grace March 18, 2012

Hi Renjith, thanks for replying. Sorry for the convoluted question. I'll try and explain the situation a little better.

I allow all users to reassign tickets to anyone in any department. However, I have a transition that only the admin can use (due to the pre-condition user group Admin being set). However, as the setting "Allow Unassign assignee" is set in the JIRA config, its a universal option now. I want to know if there's a setting within a workflow that I can set to mask/hide the "Unassigned" option from the assignee list.

Thanks,

Adam

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2012

Going by your statement "This leads to a status that auto-unassignes a ticket" I assume that it is a transistion that sets the assignee to 'Unassigned'. If that is the case, a pre-condition for the transistion that the user is in project role of Admins should help you.

i am not sure whether this is what you really meant, because others can still change the assignee to Unassigned by directly using the 'Assign' button. To workaround that a similar discussion here

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/40863/assign-issue-to-me-permission-for-projects-where-assignment-is-really-a-commitment-made-by-the-team-member

Suggest an answer