Can I configure the "Sent From" notification address to the the person who performed the change?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2012

I see that for notification schemes, I can set the return address to be either the system default (usually noreply) or one particular person.

Neither is particularly helpful.

I would like the return address to be the person who performed the action that triggered the e-mail.

Is this possible by entering %USERNAME%@whatever.com or something similar?

----

Actually, I think I found it:

switch from noreply to ${fullname}@mydomain.com

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2012

You can do it only with the help of a plugin and probably by removing the default mail listener! No configurations possible in the User interface to do this.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

Well, I don't know about needing a plugin or toying with the default mail listener. I just know this works:

switch from noreply to ${fullname}@mydomain.com

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

You can't do for individual issues. That is what you wanted I thought? I might have been mistaken!

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

Not sure what you are saying. As I have it now, if user A assigns to user B, user B gets an e-mail and the return address for the e-mail is user A. Previously the return address held the name of user B, but the actualy address used was No Reply.

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

And if user B makes the change and user A gets the e-mail, return address is that of user B?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

Yes, assuming notifications were set to deliver the message.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2013

I didn't understand it when you initially said but seems a cool option. You should add this into your answer and accept it so that others may benefit from it!

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2013

You are right. Except this only works if you have JIRA configured to accept incomeing e-mail. We don't.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2013

See my answer elsewhere.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2013

But this has a definite disavantage. The whole reason why this is set to a single email address is that, if anyone replies to the mail generated by JIRA, the reply goes to the JIRA mailbox and it gets processed as a comment and gets stored in the right issue (if the mail handler is defined).

By changing this you are are actually again making the information spread around in mails rather than in JIRA. This can lead to information loss. Just my opinion. I would highly discourage this.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

See answer in original post. Sorry for putting it in the wrong place.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events