Can Confluence have limited public visibility?

Our Confluence instance is configured for no unauthenticated access. It's used internally, and we don't want the general public rummaging through it.

We would, though, like to expose one-off pages to share with folks outside our organization. Is there a way to have single pages set to be publicly-accessible?

Is it also possible to have a similar configuration with blog posts (have only select posts be publicly visible)?

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi @Clover Wireless,

You can try Comala Share It. With this add-on you can share your pages and attachments with users without permission to access them, for example, with the general public as you indicate. You generate a public link that can be shared (like in Dropbox), so you don't need to grant additional permissions.

Disclaimer: I work for Comalatech, the company behind Comala Share It.

Let us know what do you think!

Hi there,

If you want to allow some pages to be accessed by unauthenticated users, you basically have to allow global anonymous access, and restrict the rest, so that when you have a page that is unrestricted, it can be viewed. As you can set restrictions on individual blog posts, this should work in the same manner. This means that anyone can see/use the system, but will only see what you want to show them within that. It's a little more work to setup initially, though it provides that functionality moving forward.

Hope that makes sense!

In this arrangement, would we need to explicitly mark each new, non-public page or blog post as restricted so that they don't exposed to the public, or is there some way to have that be the default behavior?

0 vote

Hi @Clover Wireless,

In case you're still on the hunt for a solution I encourage you to take a look at Instant Websites for Confluence Cloud. We're using it to host our product documentation and it may be useful in your scenario as well.

Nicholas Muldoon (@njm)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

288 views 38 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot