Calculating velocity in Greenhopper/Jira?

Ryan Belmont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2011

My CTO wants to eventually transition to a primarily agile development process. I've re-activated the Story Points field, but I can't seem to find any way in the system to actually use them. The documentation refers to the chart board and using the "value board" and "customized statistics" to get something out of the story points field, but these don't actually seem to be options for me, The only options I see on the chart board are Hour Burndown, Issue Burndown, and Cumulative Flow.

Based on the understanding that I can't use plugins (hosted version of Jira), how can I get Velocity calculated in the system (and preferably on a dashboard)? The CTO is on the verge of throwing Jira out because a) we don't seem to be able to calculate velocity and b) he dislikes the terminology (versions vs. iterations, issues vs... something more positive?). Given my time investment in the platform this far I'd like to make it work.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Nicholas Folts January 12, 2012

I'm still looking into the "velocity" part myself... but as for the terminology, you can edit the internationalization file and do a (cautious) find and replace to rename all the things he wants renamed.

Did you ever figure out the velocity part?

Suggest an answer