Burndown Charts - How Do They Work? (New User)

Hi all...

I am a new user to Jira and Greenhopper, and we are just now starting to use the tool in our first sprint...

Right now, my burndown is going in the wrong direction! I am not surprised, as we have developers who have entered in their "original estimates" late, after we officially started the sprint.

I have my engineers updating their "remaining estimates" on a daily basis, but they don't seem to be getting credit for the burndown...

We are burning down based on time, not on story points...

It seems that engineers only get credit for burning down when they have completed tasks...is this the way that Greenhopper/Jira works? What about the 2 week task that is stuck "In Progress", but is getting a daily burndown through the constant update of "Remaining Estimate"?

Is there any way for me to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks everyone! I hope my description makes some sense to all of you, and that you can provide some assistance to a noobie... :)

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes
Paul Greig Atlassian Team Mar 14, 2013

Hi MikeekiM,

There is a document regarding the viewing of the Burndown chart in GreenHopper available from: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Viewing+the+Burndown+Chart and the configuration of estimates available here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking. The chart itself can be configured from the 'Tools' gear icon in the top right. From here you would select the 'Estimation' tab and select the method of measurement form 'Estimation Statistic' and 'Time Tracking'.

Cheers,

Paul

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

50 views 2 4
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you