Bulk edit issues from different projects custom field at once

Vaida Svenčkauskienė September 5, 2013

Hello,

when I'm trying to bulk edit some issues custom field, I can't see needed custom field to edit. The problem could be, that issues are from different projects. If I select issues only from one project, everything is fine and custom field is available.

In there any way to bulk edit issues not only within one project?

BR,

Vaida.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

I'm just guessing here but do you have different workflows? I mean you can limit the global edit right on every step in your workflow using properties. Maybe some of the issue are in a status where you are NOT allowed to edit them? Don't know if JIRA checks that limitation (which would be crucial because otherwise you could edit issues that you were not supposed to edit)

EDIT:

It's the version! Try to do a bulk edit and go to the bottom of the screen . There you have a list of non-available options/actions. Expand the list and you will see that version fields can only be editin for issues within the same project!

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

I thought about edit rights too. But if you don't have edit rights on all issues you want to bulk edit you wont get the edit option under Bulk operation. Here the Customfield doesn't show up in the bulk edit operation.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

You've got a point. I was thinking the same, thought in other direction, lost that thought again and posted this answer:-)

Vaida Svenčkauskienė September 11, 2013

Workflows are the same as well. It's strange situation, because other custom fields (most of them) are visible in bulk screen. Can it somehow be related to custom field type? Its a single version picker tupe.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

That makes sense since the values for the picker are defined within the projects. I'm not sure if it will works if in both projects the same values for versions are maintained.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

It's the version! Try to do a bulk edit and go to the bottom of the screen . There you have a list of non-available options/actions. Expand the list and you will see that version fields can only be editin for issues within the same project!

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

to change custom field during bul edit it should follow the followin rules

The 'Change Custom Fields' operation is available only if:

• a global custom field existsOR
  • an issue type custom field exists and the issues are all of this specific issue typeOR
  • a project custom field exists and the issues are all of the same project

as per last point the issues are all of the same project, due to this you are unable to edit the custom field

check this document for more information about bulk edit

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Modifying+Multiple+('Bulk')+Issues#ModifyingMultiple('Bulk')Issues-bulkeditBulkEdit

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

From what Vaida mentioned so far the first point should be valid as well, that is why I'm clueless.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

Hi Vaida,

yes, you can do this. It works on my side where I have the same custom fields in both projects and I also have a common field configuration.

Question: are those custom fields you don't see available for both projects? Are you using a common field configuration in both projects?

EDIT:As we now learned: Not possible for Version picker fields, since the values are project specific.

Cheers,

Udo

Yes, both projects field configurations are the same for all issue types in project, but I still can not see custom field. If I select issues to bulk from one project, I can see field, but when I add another project issues, field disappears.

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

make sure that custom field should be in all issuetypes edit screen on all projects and also should have edit permission on all projects

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

I have to contradict Rambanam in one point, the field don't have to be in the edit screen.

His second point is valid: But I guess you have the same permissions in both projects, or?

Is the field defined for both projects, i. e. the context is global or both projects are selected?

I have edit permission in all projects. The field context is global for all projects and issue types in JIRA, or it should be configured to projects separately?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

No, if the field is global for all projects and all issuetypes it should work.

At the moment I'm clueless why the field does not show up.

Suggest an answer