Bulk copy/clone issues from one project to another?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

I don't see this as being possible, but what we'd like to do is take a whole set of issues in one project and copy them into another project.

True copy, leave the originals as they were but clones created in the new project.... possible?

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

JIRA Command Line Interface has the cloneIssues action to clone issues from a JQL search. However, to change the project on the clone, you need the Clone Plus Plugin for JIRA which in NOT available for OnDemand. So, you would have to use getIssueList to get a CSV list and then script adding them to the other project or potentially use the runFromCsv .

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013
Like Sandra McKinnon likes this
Karthiga Sethuraj October 11, 2018

Thank you Bob. Appreciate your inputs.

Benjamin Rosen April 29, 2019

You don't need a plug-in - you can do this very simply by exporting the project issues into a CSV file and importing them back into another project. It is explained here in the JIRA documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-csv-776636762.html

Like # people like this
Project X July 6, 2020

But that is causing a loss of formatting @Benjamin Rosen 

Like # people like this
6 votes
Benjamin Rosen April 29, 2019

you can do this very simply by exporting the project issues into a CSV file and importing them back into another project. It is explained here in the JIRA documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-csv-776636762.html

Sam Pearson May 29, 2019

Thank you for providing a simple answer that doesn't require a plugin.

"Plugin answers" severely degrade the value of this place when the stock product is capable of what the user asked.

Like # people like this
Kuncheff June 25, 2019

CVS does not resolve the problem - only cloning allows to keep attachments... exporting via CVS will create jira that will lose the attachments t

Like # people like this
Jessica Cox June 2, 2021

Importing attachments

You can attach files to issues created from your CSV file. To do this, specify the URL of your attachment in an Attachments column within your CSV file.

Assignee, Summary, Description, Attachment, Comment
bob@example.com, "Issue demonstrating the CSV attachment import", "Please check the attached image below.", "https://jira-server:8080/secure/attachment/image-name.png", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"
bob@example.com, "CSV attachment import with timestamp,author and filename", "Please check the attached image below.", "01/01/2012 13:10;Admin;image.png;file://image-name.png", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"

Note that URLs for attachments support the HTTP and HTTPS protocols and can be located anywhere that your Jira Cloud site can access.

Does that work?

2 votes

Hi, @Doug Varn2 Bulk copy is a feature of JSU which we offer on Server and Data Center.

Here's a link to the documentation page with a step-by-step process:  https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Bulk+Copy

You can always create a service desk ticket so you could be more guided. 

2 votes
xinl May 12, 2014

you can use structure plugin to do this. Document is here : https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Cloning+Multiple+Issues

Karthiga Sethuraj October 11, 2018

Thank you for the info!

Laurencija November 13, 2020

There is no possability make clone of Structure in JIRA Cloud like it can be done in JIRA Server.

1 vote
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2019

That's possible on Jira cloud with our app Deep Clone for Jira. Our app enables you to clone and move hundreds of issues in one action.

In order to clone a complete project you have to

1. Create the project you want to clone the issues into

2. Filter for all issues you want to clone

3. Execute Deep Clone: Bulk Clone

If you have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch with us at support@codefortynine.com.

Grigor_Mihalkov March 27, 2020

@Marlene Kegel - codefortyninehow can we do it if we are using server instead of a cloud?

Like Darius Butkevičius likes this
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2020

Hi @Grigor_Mihalkov ,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately  Deep Clone for Jira is only available for Jira cloud.

The comments above might help you since they also refer to server.

Or you try the Marketplace app  Bulk Clone Professional. This app is from another Marketplace vendor, so I don't know much about it. But it seems that it's also possible to Bulk Clone issues with this app.

Of course you can also migrate your Jira instance to cloud and use Deep Clone :) 

0 votes
László Gubicza June 18, 2020

Hi,

It seems to work now in Jira Server. You might need to be project administrator.

• Go to the Projects under JIRA Administration. Choose the project where the issues come from.
  • In the Project settings page choose Actions/Bulk copy of issues
  • Use an appropriate filter to collect the issues needed for you.
  • If you copy multiple layers of the issues, the process seems to copy the structure, too. (The new items will be linked in the same way.)

I used this method to clone multiple layer templates into the same project where the templates located and the result is promising.

László Gubicza June 18, 2020

Well, it might not work to copy to another project, but there's a workaround.

Copy the items first inside the project, then select the newly created items and make a Bulk change/Move. You might need to do it in several steps, because the different layers can't be selected at once.

László Gubicza July 7, 2020

Let me summarize the method to bulk copy between projects using JIRA Server.

1. Create a filter that filters out the issues you want to copy.

2. Go to the Projects under JIRA Administration. Choose the project where the issues come from.

3. In the Project settings page choose Actions/Bulk copy of issues (in top right corner). Use the filter to collect the issues needed for you.

4. The issues are duplicated (cloned).

5. Open the filter from Issues/Manage filter

6. Modify it adding this:   AND created >= '-15m'      or similar to filter out only the newly created copies

7. Go to Tools/Bulk change in the right top corner.

8. Choose all items then select Move items

9. Move the cloned items to the target project (you need the necessary user rights in both projects)

Like Sunil likes this
Ofira Daniel July 8, 2020

Hi,

Is it supported also for Jira data center ? 

What I need to do to have this option ? (as currently I don`t have it)

Thanks 

László Gubicza July 9, 2020

I'm not familiar with data center but based on this page it's probably supported:

https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Bulk+Copy

Arunkumar Chandran February 11, 2021

Hi Laszlo,

How to do bulk clone if we're using JIRA Cloud?

1) Bulk Clone within next-gen project

2) Bulk Clone from next-gen to Classic-Jira project

With regards,

Arun

László Gubicza February 16, 2021

Hi Arun,

I'm not so familiar with Jira Cloud since I'm using Jira Server. Based on this article I don't think you can do that in Jira Cloud unless you install an addon like Deep Clone for Jira.

My bulk copy description was for Jira Server.

Regards,
Laszlo

László Gubicza February 16, 2021

Hi again,

I was curious about how can it be done in Cloud. I've created 2 test projects in Jira Cloud and tried the suggested workaround in the article above. It was pretty good.

- I created a filter for the items to be bulk copied from project 1.
- I exported the list of the filter as csv and downloaded it to my disk.
- I went to project 2. In Create I chose Import/Browse files
- Uploaded the saved export file by mapping only the Summary and some other fields I wanted to keep, but not mapping the Issue ID.

I ended up having clones of filtered project 1 items with new IDs in project 2.

So that seem to be the way to clone to other project in Jira Cloud.

I used nextgen projects.

Regards,
Laszlo

Suggest an answer